GDI Rod Bearings

I've had great luck with HyunKias, you're even luckier because the 2.0's don't have an extended warranty. The cost of a new engine at 200+K would be far less than the depreciation dump now.

Not likely, it's a new car and a manufacturer warranty. Really all the OP needs to do is keep the oil and filter change receipts and not tune it. There isn't much more to maintenance to those engines for the first 3-4 years and after that OP will be in a better position to decide to keep/sell the car without taking a huge depreciation hit.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by walterjay
Have read the Hyundai forums. Even over maintained 2.4 engines with botique oils are susceptible. They are however a small minority of the engines. Hyundai stepped up and as stated previously gives a 200,000 mile engine warranty. What other manufacturer gives that kind of warranty?

I think it was extended to 120k. Never heard of 200k

Both, my (now sold Kia) and the SFS have 200k mile PT warranty. It's over for the SFS since my wife recently passed that mileage however.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Dealer has nothing to do with it. If engine fails it is an automatic replacement from Hyundai. Dealer gets paid by Hyundai.

👆 this

The rod bearing warranty is 10 years 120k miles on my girlfriend's 2013. I guess it depends on the year. A guy I worked with just had his engine seize last year at 105k on his 2013 Santa Fe. They gave him a loaner and fixed it no problem (he did have all the oil change records however).

Some people have speculated that it could be an issue with the oil pump failing on some of these. If that was the case no oil would help.

Spark knock could be a problem meaning de carbon treatments could help. My girlfriend's car has some spark knock at light throttle in the summer when it's warm out (don't notice it in the winter).

Go here and educate yourself OP. I ditched ours last year so haven't kept up but at least in early 2019 the only ones doing the 200,000 warranty were a few select large Kia dealerships. Hyundai was 120/10 though it may have changed. You definitely want to make sure which applies. One thing you will find on that site is a couple Hyundai mechanics who are extremely helpful with advice on repair Ect.

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/

Oil won't help those nor will OEM filters. When it comes to trade in you wont like what you get if that's the route you go. The least bad situation for trade in is do it at a big dealership that sells a few makes one of which is Hyundai. Try to trade one of those to a Toyota dealership and you'll blanch at the trade in offers. A dealership that sells both will definitely give you much more but it still won't be very good. The big question for the OP is how long To keep it before trading early on. Dont get spooked by the flaming Hyundai tales. Those are caused by ham handed mechanics and happen AFTER they replaced the dead one with a new engine by bending the fuel line.
Read those forums. It will detail the whole sad Theta 2 story including who and what they tried to blame for the whole mess.
If you are a Consumer Reports follower you'll notice one thing . Somehow they just 🤬 missed this continuing decade long debacle. That sure make ya wonder now doesn't it 🥺

I am trending to only have 70K miles, in 10 years. My wife's new Kia is trending even less..... 50k in 10 years. Her 2.0 MPI is not a TGDI / GDI

That's why I'm thinking about unloading this Santa Fe early. With my luck, when it reaches 91k, my engine warranty will be three years expired.

Originally Posted by wemay
There's been a settlement that includes extending the powertrain warranty to 200K miles and free engine replacements for all subsequent owners.

Where do you find that info? I read the settlement and it does not seem to indicate this.... Dealer tells me even when the replacement engine it is 10 years / 120,000 miles, but that Hyundai is being lenient even though they do not need to.

Originally Posted by Hallj49803
There's been a settlement that includes extending the powertrain warranty to 200K miles and free engine replacements for all subsequent owners.

Where do you find that info? I read the settlement and it does not seem to indicate this.... Dealer tells me even when the replacement engine it is 10 years / 120,000 miles, but that Hyundai is being lenient even though they do not need to.

It's actually lifetime....

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-art...awsuit-alleging-engine-damage-fires.html

Capture.PNG

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-art...wsuit-alleging-engine-damage-fires.html.

Mine is not covered in that Settlement. I do not own the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-art...wsuit-alleging-engine-damage-fires.html.

Mine is not covered in that Settlement. I do not own the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

Nor is there any indication your 2019 has an issue.

Originally Posted by Wemay

It's only got 11k on it. We are discussing the distant future here. I might be out of their 10 year warranty at only 70k.

I'll drive it until it dies... or I die.....whichever comes first. But I'm not trading it-in for nickels and dimes on a dollar.
So I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. I never had an engine die on me. I've always driven my new vehicles that turned to rust buckets 20 years later ... driven them to junkyards and running perfectly. and a couple of times they had near-clear dipsticks at the junkyard

So this Hyundai has put me on a completely different (180 degrees) path to find longetivity with it.

Last edited:

Originally Posted by Wemay

It's only got 11k on it. We are discussing the distant future here. I might be out of their 10 year warranty at only 70k.

I'll drive it until it dies... or I die.....whichever comes first. But I'm not trading it-in for nickels and dimes on a dollar.
So I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. I never had an engine die on me. I've always driven my new vehicles that turned to rust buckets 20 years later ... driven them to junkyards and running perfectly. and a couple of times they had near-clear dipsticks at the junkyard

So this Hyundai has put me on a completely different (180 degrees) path to find longetivity with it.

I understand your apprehension to some degree but there are FAR MORE satisfied owners out there than not. Enjoy the Santa Fe.

May-as-well, since no topical preventative medicine is available for it.
Happy Easter Wemay

Likewise, Triple'

Back