GDI Rod Bearings

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
I have read enough horror stories of Korean 2.4 engines grenading. Most-all threw rod bearings - a minority premature to symptoms and suddenly (within 300 miles of first hearing abnormal engine sounds). Most seem to happen prior to - or near 125K.

My questions are multiple. But your remedy-answers might only be one sentence.:

How do I lessen the chance of this happening to my 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI?
Is there a good preventative medicine for it?
Is it oil?.... 4k OCIs using mostly Pennzoil Platinum Ultra and top-tier fuels?
Is it an oil additive I need?
Do I keep the RPMs always below 4?
Do I sell - or trade-in my Hyundai (with only 11k) this year?

I realize most-all of the horror stories were vehicles prior to 2017. But it's still occurring, but in much lesser numbers. As far as I'm concerned no vehicle from 2017-forward should throw rod bearings. That's insane and that's why I might sell my almost new Hyundai, which I currently like tremendously.

Is there some magic potion to guarantee my rod bearings more miles...... like beyond 150-175K at least.

Last edited:
There is nothing you can do. The rod bearing issues (blown engines) seem to happen to a full spectrum of owners...

1. folks who follow the maintenance schedule to a tee. Oil specs, Oil filters and OCI
2. folks who use the recommended oils but always at severe service
3. folks who use boutique oils in the recommended weight at severe service
4. folks who've used higher HT/HS oils at severe service
etc.

It really hasn't made a difference to the issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
5W-50 is the answer. The rod insert material is too soft so you can't do much about it. Over time the inserts get deformed.

Really 5w50 ! doubt that will help anything.

Originally Posted by hemitom
Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
5W-50 is the answer. The rod insert material is too soft so you can't do much about it. Over time the inserts get deformed.

Really 5w50 ! doubt that will help anything.

That may get you down the road. (Some guys gave me a Dodge Dart - quit running on them. I got it started, determined it had a rod knock. I was on foot for several weeks so I put 90 gear oil in it and drove it for 2 weeks. Took an extra battery to get it started. People would blow their horn and yell that I had a rod knocking. I played dumb. Was still running when I had my car running. Left it on the side of the road with the keys in the ignition.)

The real answer is a class action lawsuit if this is happening so often.

Are better bearings available to retrofit these engines? That's a lot of work unless you can easily drop the pan to replace the rod bearings.

There's been a settlement that includes extending the powertrain warranty to 200K miles and free engine replacements for all subsequent owners.

I dispute the claim that oil won't help. It seems that a more viscous oil is at least part of the solution. Here in South Florida, some have gone to synthetic 10W-30 with no reported problems.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I dispute the claim that oil won't help. It seems that a more viscous oil is at least part of the solution. Here in South Florida, some have gone to synthetic 10W-30 with no reported problems.

Makes no difference. Some folks on the H/K boards have gone the route you propose and suffered the same fate. Many with the 2.0T going with Xw-40 oils have also suffered this fate. It really is the luck (or lack there of) of the draw.

But, all this being said. We've owned a few Hyundai and one Kia since 2010 and all have been impressively reliable and durable. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.

Last edited:
spark knock is a major contributing factor in rod bearing failures where lubrication is not at fault. The small cubic inch, low rpm engine load is suspect in many newer GDI engines.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Bingo!
And next time make sure to do your homework before throwing good money down the toilet.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Bingo!
And next time make sure to do your homework before throwing good money down the toilet.
spankme2.gif

The histrionics are always on display when visiting BITOG
lol.gif

Have read the Hyundai forums. Even over maintained 2.4 engines with botique oils are susceptible. They are however a small minority of the engines. Hyundai stepped up and as stated previously gives a 200,000 mile engine warranty. What other manufacturer gives that kind of warranty?

Originally Posted by walterjay
Have read the Hyundai forums. Even over maintained 2.4 engines with botique oils are susceptible. They are however a small minority of the engines. Hyundai stepped up and as stated previously gives a 200,000 mile engine warranty. What other manufacturer gives that kind of warranty?

I think it was extended to 120k. Never heard of 200k

Seems like the warranty has your back for a while at least. Wait till the depreciation curve won't hit you like a ton of bricks in a few years.

Can you trust the dealer not to weasel out of it? The assertions a warranty are inversely proportional to the amount of fine print.

Dealer has nothing to do with it. If engine fails it is an automatic replacement from Hyundai. Dealer gets paid by Hyundai.

Back