GDI oil change interval

What do most do for a GDI only engine?
I've been doing 4,000 miles on my 6.6L GM engine.
Is there any benefit to using HPL and extending the drain?
I worry about timing chain wear from the soot build up.

5k here with Havoline LifeLong FS. Might go to the Supertech Synthetic after I run out. This is for the Ford. The Hondas don't really care what they run.

I use the OLM, but don't go over 6,500. I use Mobil 1 5W30 extented because I get it
at a good price at rebate time. You should stay with DexosG2 or G3 rated oils.

I always kept it to 5,000 miles with my GM 5.3 direct injected. And even then it’d use oil and smell like gas.

4000 miles is a good interval... but depends on hours and weather conditions, along with oil brand/grade that you're using which is???

If there is an OLM, at 4k miles, what is the percentage left?

I don't see any benefit in extending intervals. SP/GF6 addresses timing chain wear.

For more info concerning your interval and oil, send out a sample for analysis.

Other things to worry about.... long term ownership and intake valve deposits

Do keep those injectors clean by using toptier fuel and/or occasional bottles of quality FI cleaner.

4000 miles is a good interval... but depends on hours and weather conditions, along with oil brand/grade that you're using which is???

I don't see any benefit in extending intervals. SP/GF6 addresses timing chain wear.

Do keep those injectors clean by using toptier fuel and/or occasional bottles of quality FI cleaner.
I've been using Valvoline 5w30EP
I run a bottle of Amsoil PI before each oil change.
Surprisingly my exhaust pipe is perfectly clean. Zero soot.
I use a catch can but remove it in winter. The Ice is a hassle.

OLM which is lesser of 10k miles/ 1 yr.

For piece of mind you could just buy an oil from a reputable brand which states they meet the performance requirements of API SP.

What do you see in the catch can?
In winter mostly water. In the summer it's all oil. Maybe 5oz in 4,000 miles.
GM is supposed to have some advanced PCV system built into the valve cover.
It doesn't work.

In winter mostly water. In the summer it's all oil. Maybe 5oz in 4,000 miles.
GM is supposed to have some advanced PCV system built into the valve cover.
It doesn't work.
I saw a YouTube video with a GM engineer explaining the PCV system. It must do something or they wouldn't spend the time and money and put it on the engine. Maybe you'd get 8oz instead of 5?

GDI = 4,000 OCI for me using D1 / Gen 3 rated 5W30 synthetic oil from M1 , Valvoline , Pennzoil or Quaker State Full Synthetic from WM .

3-4k max, the extended drain oils have the tbn and shear stability but that does nothing when fuel dilution and carbon soot are your major problems, it must be removed via an oil change.

3 month or 3,000 miles is what I do on our '21 Crosstrek and '21 Acadia 3.6L. Filter change every other oil change, as lately we've been hitting the 3 month mark before putting on 3,000 miles.

Using Valvoline EP or Mobil 1 EP. Probably going to try Castrol Edge EP next.

I bought a new Mazdaspeed 3 in July 2007 and sold it in January 2016 at 158,000 miles. From 5,000 miles to 69,000 miles I ran a 5,000 mile oil change interval using Mobil1 5W-30. At 69,000 miles I extended the OCI to @7,500 miles(still using M1 5W-30). At 115,000 miles I switched to M1 5W-30 Extended Performance. Used oil analysis consistently showed the motor to be in excellent condition- and that a 7,500 mile OCI was-if anything-conservative.

3,500 to 4,600 mile oil changes for the winter because of fuel build up in the oil.
5,000* to 7,000† miles summer.
* The usual milage on the oil when winter hits.
† Recommend oil change interval which I can hit without too much fuel dilution in the summer as long as we do a few hundred mile highway drives.

Back