GCV160 possible cracked block

I have an old pressure washer that recently developed an oil leak. At first I thought it just needed a new crush washer on the drain bolt, but when I went to replace the washer I noticed this crack. It sure looks like a crack but everything still runs great. Can anyone confirm if this is supposed to be there?

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 198
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it looked intentional by the way that it curves, but near the oil filler it's a little jagged and sharp which concerned me.

I concur with the above post it being a casting mark.
If it was cracked, I would try saving it using JB Weld or some sort of repair epoxy.

For sure could be a casting mark, but now it is clean, just start it up and see if it leaks. If that really is a crack it will leak pretty good.
Based on the replies here it's likely not a crack. I plan to change the crush washer, fill it up with fresh oil, and see what happens.

It looks like cast flash but could be porous. Hit it with a dremel to knock the edge down and slather some JB-Weld if it looks like any seepage. Good as new. I had a porous crack in an aluminum valve cover on a motorcycle. you couldnt see the crack but it would seem to leak from gasket edge. Once located JBW did the trick.

looks like a parting line in the mold from the casting process. Clean it off with some degreaser and see if the residue comes back.

Just my $0.02

You don't see too many horizontal shaft GCV160's. They really area sweet little engine for a "cheap" engine.

Like said, clean the area in question and keep an eye on it. I've got a 21yr/old GCV160 on a honda push power that would still look new if I cleaned it up. Never even touched the carburetor on it.

I also have an old pressure washer with the same GCV 160 engine. I took a look at it and it has the same casting line as yours. It’s not a crack.

Back