GC's green color.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know color is no judge of how well an oil is doing it's job, but I wonder:

Does GC maintain it's "green-ish" color once it's in service, or does it turn brown/black like everything else?

GC has what can best be described as a greenish surface glow, almost like a movie version of radioactive toxic waste, but the dominant color really is amber. If you look into a clear glass filled with GC, you'll see what I mean.

In service, the green sheen ultimately fades. For about the first 3k miles, the yellow-green tinge is visible on a white paper towel used to wipe the dipstick. The oil in my sample bottle at the 5k mark still had a greenish tinge on the surface, but it in depth it was deep brown. Now, at 6k, it's dark enough that the tinge on the paper towel is gone. But you can still see a little of it around the inside of the oil filler neck.

I had an oilpan full of GC in my old Altima, and even after something like 2000+ miles the oil was still a green tint on the dipstick.

I was just wondering this today. I removed my oil filler cap in my '88 Accord LX w/ 222Kmi and saw green on the cap. When the oil drips on the floor it has a greenish tint too.
smile.gif

-brian

Green when new and brown when old
In this the GC tale is told
But however glorious the new sheen may be
It's the wonderful UOAs that distinguish GC

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

ps, that's beautiful. You've brought a tear to my eye....

quote:

Originally posted by brian:
When the oil drips on the floor it has a greenish tint too.
smile.gif

-brian

You're allowing the coveted elixer to drip on the floor
shocked.gif
Shame on you. Your punishment will be to send 6 bottles of GC to one of the unlucky BITOG members who can't get their hands on GC.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

ps, that's beautiful. You've brought a tear to my eye....

I hope I have created a moment you will never forget...that would make my day!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

smile.gif

-brian

shocked.gif
Shame on you. Your punishment will be to send 6 bottles of GC to one of the unlucky BITOG members who can't get their hands on GC.
grin.gif

Great catch, medic...how on earth did I MISS that? The Elves' T-1 line is down so maybe this page will pass into the ether without them seeing it...yikes!
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

smile.gif

-brian

shocked.gif
grin.gif

You can always get your hands on GC if you want it bad enough. There is a web-site that will ship it free for a little over $7 U.S. a quart.
pat.gif
$3.99 @ AZ here, so I stocked up.

I wasn't able to change my oil myself last time and the guys at the shop freaked over the green. I know the guy has been doing this for over 10 years and apparently hasn't seen the green before. After about 1K you really wouldn't notice on my dipstick. It looks like regular oil at that point.

I just picked up 20 quarts of 0-30 GC for a buck a quart! My local AZ had them on the shelf with the price marked at a buck and I bought em out!!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
I wasn't able to change my oil myself last time and the guys at the shop freaked over the green. I know the guy has been doing this for over 10 years and apparently hasn't seen the green before.

Kendall GT1 was green for years, back when it was a still quality oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back