GC's green color.....

Messages
7,550
Location
North Alabama
I know color is no judge of how well an oil is doing it's job, but I wonder: Does GC maintain it's "green-ish" color once it's in service, or does it turn brown/black like everything else?
 
Messages
9,427
Location
Pensacola & Vero Beach FL
GC has what can best be described as a greenish surface glow, almost like a movie version of radioactive toxic waste, but the dominant color really is amber. If you look into a clear glass filled with GC, you'll see what I mean. In service, the green sheen ultimately fades. For about the first 3k miles, the yellow-green tinge is visible on a white paper towel used to wipe the dipstick. The oil in my sample bottle at the 5k mark still had a greenish tinge on the surface, but it in depth it was deep brown. Now, at 6k, it's dark enough that the tinge on the paper towel is gone. But you can still see a little of it around the inside of the oil filler neck.
 
Messages
1,983
Location
New Brunswick
I had an oilpan full of GC in my old Altima, and even after something like 2000+ miles the oil was still a green tint on the dipstick.
 
Messages
195
Location
Colorado
I was just wondering this today. I removed my oil filler cap in my '88 Accord LX w/ 222Kmi and saw green on the cap. When the oil drips on the floor it has a greenish tint too. [Smile] -brian
 
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
Green when new and brown when old In this the GC tale is told But however glorious the new sheen may be It's the wonderful UOAs that distinguish GC
 
Messages
11,284
Location
Spring HIll
quote:
Originally posted by pscholte: Green when new and brown when old In this the GC tale is told But however glorious the new sheen may be It's the wonderful UOAs that distinguish GC
ps, that's beautiful. You've brought a tear to my eye....
 
quote:
Originally posted by brian: When the oil drips on the floor it has a greenish tint too. [Smile] -brian
You're allowing the coveted elixer to drip on the floor [Eek!] Shame on you. Your punishment will be to send 6 bottles of GC to one of the unlucky BITOG members who can't get their hands on GC. [Big Grin]
 
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
quote:
Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
quote:
Originally posted by pscholte: Green when new and brown when old In this the GC tale is told But however glorious the new sheen may be It's the wonderful UOAs that distinguish GC
ps, that's beautiful. You've brought a tear to my eye....

I hope I have created a moment you will never forget...that would make my day! [Big Grin]
 
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
quote:
Originally posted by medic:
quote:
Originally posted by brian: When the oil drips on the floor it has a greenish tint too. [Smile] -brian
You're allowing the coveted elixer to drip on the floor [Eek!] Shame on you. Your punishment will be to send 6 bottles of GC to one of the unlucky BITOG members who can't get their hands on GC. [Big Grin]

Great catch, medic...how on earth did I MISS that? The Elves' T-1 line is down so maybe this page will pass into the ether without them seeing it...yikes! [Eek!]
 
Messages
2,768
Location
Tn
quote:
Originally posted by medic:
quote:
Originally posted by brian: When the oil drips on the floor it has a greenish tint too. [Smile] -brian
You're allowing the coveted elixer to drip on the floor [Eek!] Shame on you. Your punishment will be to send 6 bottles of GC to one of the unlucky BITOG members who can't get their hands on GC. [Big Grin]

You can always get your hands on GC if you want it bad enough. There is a web-site that will ship it free for a little over $7 U.S. a quart. [Duh!] $3.99 @ AZ here, so I stocked up. I wasn't able to change my oil myself last time and the guys at the shop freaked over the green. I know the guy has been doing this for over 10 years and apparently hasn't seen the green before. After about 1K you really wouldn't notice on my dipstick. It looks like regular oil at that point.
 
quote:
Originally posted by haley10: I wasn't able to change my oil myself last time and the guys at the shop freaked over the green. I know the guy has been doing this for over 10 years and apparently hasn't seen the green before.
Kendall GT1 was green for years, back when it was a still quality oil.
 
Top