GCF - squeezing the Charmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In search of the ideal element for my GCF, I found a paper towel that is very interesting.

Viva, by kleenex, is a single ply, non-fluted paper towel very similar to a roll of paper towels...will try them the next go around. I discovered them because they were in a restroom I visited this weekend...not like I was intending to find them, but hey...

Unlike a typical paper towels with the imbossing that adds space between layers, these are a simply a single flat sheet. I bet this would work as good as tp...even the oe GCF elements are imbossed paper towels.

Last edited:
I picked a roll of Viva up last night, it is like a thick layer of TP...not embossed, seems fairly dense. It is also a single ply paper towel...

Most paper towels are embossed, and that makes it fairly "open" between layers. They are also typically multiple plies.

It will take two rolls to make one large enough for the GCF housing, but it may filter more effectively than a typical paper towel roll.

I think we use Viva. Isn't this the stuff that is tight wound and has the half sheet perforations? If so, it clings to itself rather well. That is, it doesn't fall off the roll ..you pull it off the roll (if that made sense).

yes, it is almost cloth-like, which makes it "sticky". It is like a white version of the Scott "shop towels on a roll" found at most autoparts places (I never used them because of the blue dye).

I think this stuff would work well in a bypass. It might have a shorter life, but should limit any channeling that may occur.

They are much denser than a typical roll of paper towels, which should allow them to behave like toilet paper.

I doubt they would have that much shorter life in this GCF, mainly for two reasons: its overkill for the application (rated at 10k OCIs for an OTR truck, not a pickup) and the element is physically huge compared to a single roll Frantz. I think it would provide the best of both worlds...the filtration of a Frantz with longer FCIs (assuming it filters as well as TP).

You're probably correct. I'm dying to figure a way to used those really dense supersized commercial brown paper towel rolls.

Hard-Roll-Hand-Towel.jpg

I remember ralph woods stating he used two of those in a mg
Fleetguard 750...

I searched a long time for one of those in a size to fit the GCF, but the only way would be to buy big and unroll over half of it.

Yeah. I keep trying to come up with ways to use the things and stop when they're the right size. I know that the rest of the household just can't be bothered with letting that into their existence bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back