GC0w30 chev 4.3 5500 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My latest analysis had an unusual statement on it "Oxidation is not available due to the string interference of ester-based synthetic. Guess that explains some of the bizarre results I have had previously. At any rate it really settled down this time even in the winter, with fe-11, pb-0, cu-4 al-6, and tbn-6.8 Last time was first after I had my intake manifold replaced for a very slow leak and this time the NA is down to 5 finally. Visc is 11 and was over 15 last time with 6K miles. Gotta wonder if the techs go on occasional benders!

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
My latest analysis had an unusual statement on it "Oxidation is not available due to the string interference of ester-based synthetic. Guess that explains some of the bizarre results I have had previously. At any rate it really settled down this time even in the winter, with fe-11, pb-0, cu-4 al-6, and tbn-6.8 Last time was first after I had my intake manifold replaced for a very slow leak and this time the NA is down to 5 finally. Visc is 11 and was over 15 last time with 6K miles. Gotta wonder if the techs go on occasional benders!

I suggest going up to 8000miles for your next change. With a TBN od 6.8, there is a heck of a lot of life left in that oil when you dumped it.

I just put GC into my 4.3...

Looks like Im really glad I did. I am in the EXACT same situation, slow leak and all...

JMH

My goodness, I don't think I've ever seen a 4.3L with 0 lead. My '99 Sonoma spins off 2ppm/1K miles with Pennzoil, and some thought that was pretty good. Looks like GC comes through again.

Just remember that after the gasket change I did a 200 mile dino wrinse and then a 6k mile run which had an fe of 24 before I got down to this. I am thinking that the 0 lead is within the "error" of the test and could just as well be 2.

Still, 2ppm over 5.5K miles ties for the all-time low for lead on a 4.3L

I did a quick search of 4.3L UOAs (excluding your current one) in 2004-2005 and came up with the following:

10 UOA's. Lowest mileage was 1,585. Highest was 6,049.

There were 2 UOA's with GC. One registered 9 ppm lead with 3,339 miles on the oil. The other registered 2 ppm lead in 6,049 miles (that was also your UOA) over a 3 month period.

Excluding the GC UOA mentioned above, there were 4 UOAs with about 5K miles. The lead ppm for these were 8, 15, 14, 12.

Throwing out the low and the high data points, the average lead ppm per 1K miles is 2.6

So, your results continue to be superb--and can be somewhat attibuted to your 2k miles/month driving pattern.

"The universal average Blackstone supplies is the average of all the UOA's they have on file for that particular motor. Ie: My F150's have (had) the 4.6l modular V8 in them. When I get my UOA's back, the Universal Average is for ALL of the 4.6l V8 motors they have in their database."

After reading the above post by MNgopher I am wondering if anyone has had their 4.3 oil tested by Blackstone and could pass along to us the universal averages on this motor?

On the 9/04 UOA of my Sonoma, Blackstone listed 11ppm lead as the universal average. Since I have the Dyson analysis package, Blackstone didn't comment on the mileage for that average.

I hear what you are saying nel. GC seems to be doing pretty well for me. Relating to your last comment I just checked the hour meter and found that at 75,480 miles the hours were 1708.4. Works out to an aveage speed of 44.18 mph, not bad eh? On the other hand I do not park in a garage so it sees some very cold starts in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back