GC : what do i look for??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car Luver,

You want to check the batch code on the bottom of the bottle. Known good batch numbers for GC green are from M02xxxxxxx, M03xxxxxx, M04xxxxx, and M0501xxxxx. Early M02 are US made and have 0w30 labels that are black letters on a yellow background. Avoid those. On the good ones, 0w30 label should be red background with black letters. They should have "Made in Germany" on the back label. Batch numbers M0502xxxxx and later are Gold color and the jury is still out as to whether it is as good as the green. There are some post in this topic that has more specific batch numbers. Here's a link to what the bottle and oil looks like.

Happy Hunting....
http://home.comcast.net/~dsmphotos/gcdial/gcdial.html

pscholte,

Point well taken. I should have phrased that a little different. What I meant was it seems most folks here are going for the GC Green until UOA's and the consensous of folks on this board have given GC Gold the Elves Official Seal of Approval.
smile.gif

quote:

the jury is still out as to whether it is as good as the green.

a_g,

Trust me, there is no reason to doubt the Gold...the Elfe Meister KNOWS these things. The only thing everyone must keep in mind in comparing the two or for comparing it with any other oil is: what was the target for the formulation (e.g 6 quart+ sump Mercedes, Audis, BMWs)? It will work BEST for those conditions for which it is targeted. It will still, I believe, be a great oil for other applications but it will be BEST for its target audience. A final example: if you asked me what I would put in a track car (not driven on the street, or at least not often in normal street conditions) it would not be GC, Amsoil or M1; it would be Redline or Motul ester formulas. So your decision becomes: what do I want, a good all around oil that will "work" in a lot of applications or--if it exists--an oil formulated with my engine in mind. My Audi will see nothing but GC or Amsoil/M1 Euro formulas if the GC formula dried up. (When I say GC I am talking about the SLX/SLX Longtec formulae even if blended in the US...the formula still began with the Elves, regardless.)
cheers.gif

[ November 19, 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back