GC vs. Esso XD-3 0W30 synth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that ppl have fanatical attachments to both oils, but which is really better?

XD-3:

0W-30 viscosity
Cheap ($3.75CAD/L)
Excellent extended drain performance
Available in 1L and 4L bottles, and probably 5gallon pails as well.
Has a 0W-40 'sister' product.
Contributes positively to the North American economy.
Available in Canada only.
CI-4 rating for diesels.

GC:

0W-30 viscosity
Expensive
Dyed green
Questionable extended drain performance.
Imported from a far away overseas land at great expense.
Available Canada/USA.

pitzell,

Seems I have seen one VERY GOOD UOA with XD-3 but we have a far greater sampling with GC so, Elvish origin notwithstanding, I'd have to go with the Elixer until I see more reports.

..if it wouldnt be for the stash of Delvac 1 I have waiting, I would have have XD-3 lined up.
The XD 0w30 will replace the GC I use for the winter months, simply for the cost factor and the consensus is that it is a good quality PAO oil.
Jean

Since many of us don't live in The Great White North, this is like asking; which is better, GC or GC?
grin.gif

No doubt about it, GC is good koolaid. It's in the crankcase of my car (mixed with the Walloon variant) even as I type.

But, as lubricant engineers go, I believe the syrup-swilling lumberjacks of Esso Canada are at least a chainsaw length ahead of Bavaria's finest. Poutine and Moosehead trump lederhosen and liebfraumilch any day of the week.

My XD-3 UOA was far superior to preceding GC intervals. In a turbo car hard on oil, euro no less.

Yes, there may have been a fuel dilution issue which complicates the comparison..., but GC didn't fix it, did it?
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002073#000000

Am I banned from this board yet?

What mfg specs does XD-3 carry? GC has the latest VW LLspec, 503.01 as well as MB 229.3. Some customers look for the approvals, but XD-3 sounds like an interesting oil from the bit I've read. How does it compare to other XOM products like Saab synth 0w-30 aka Mobil 1 Euro Polar LL and good 'ol Mobil 1 Euro 0w-40? Could the Esso products be similar, but domestic-made formulations without the "costly" and somewhat superfluous approvals?
dunno.gif
Can anyone draw a detailed comparison?
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
What mfg specs does XD-3 carry?
--snipped --
How does it compare to other XOM products like Saab synth 0w-30 aka Mobil 1 Euro Polar LL and good 'ol Mobil 1 Euro 0w-40? Could the Esso products be similar, but domestic-made formulations without the "costly" and somewhat superfluous approvals?

XD-3 0w40 is very different from M1 0w40 and Delvac 1. XD3 is thicker than either. XD-3 has Zn and P levels similar to Delvac 1, but much more calcium. XD3 has no boron, unlike M1 and D1. I bet the XD3 0w30 is similar to the 0w40.

VOA for 0x40 here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000173#000000

XD3 carries a bunch of certifications for diesel applications (Cummins, Caterpillar, Mack etc).
See here:
http://esso.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLESEsso_Xd-3_extra.pdf

I have 12 litres of 0w30 xd-3 in my garage and will be picking up 32 more litres next week (you never know when the price will go up). UOA's will follow, though it will be some time down the road.

Now stop asking about XD-3, or else we'll end up with our own forum.

I picked up four cases of four 4L bottles each (64L total). The reason I got so much is because the distributor is not so close to my house, only open during business hours when I'm at work, and doesn't usually keep the 0W30 grade in stock (about 1 week delivery time). Use it on two vehicles. It's a lot of oil, but I figure about 6 oil changes per year toatl at just over 4L each, this stuff will last me about 2.5 years.

It may not be the absolute best oil out there, but I believe it is very good and when you factor in the price, I think it's great. There may be oils that are declaired better before I use up my stock, but then I'll be in the same boat as the GC nuts!

quote:

Originally posted by john_ertw:
...the distributor is not so close to my house, only open during business hours when I'm at work...

Same here... Somehow I need to sneak out of the job for couple of hours to get there and return back. No luck so far. I guess that's the only drawback of this oil- somewhat restricted availability. Everything else seems to be excellent!

2 weeks ago I picked up 12L of XD-3 0W-30 for $4.07 a liter + tax in Georgetown. I still have GC waiting for my next oil change though. The price of xd-3 is much lower than GC at 7.12+tax that's why I'm switching to xd-3.
canada.gif

I'll be posting a 10K km interval of XD-3 0w30 in about 2 months from my gfs Civic, then we can compare it to the previous 10K interval with GC.

I also use it in my 6.0 PSD, will have a second UOA of about 10K km soon.

I like the GC and the consistent good results from various engines but I have a feeling that the XD-3 can provide similar protection in 10-15K km intervals at half the cost. Time will tell of course, and if you absolutely need the designations, GC is your oil.

[ March 12, 2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back