GC v. M1 (TDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 TDT is an HDEO.

GC is not.

Both are very fine oils, but I would SPECULATE that the M1 TDT is likely better at cleaning given its target audience being Diesel trucks.

Based on the Lubirizol Performance Comparison Tool and the specs that each oil claims to meet or exceed, I think that M1 will win on soot thickening and corrosion resistance and GC will win on wear and piston deposits. There is quite a bit of supposition in that estimate though. It is difficult to compare a diesel formulation with a gas formulation and then on top of that compare actual approvals vs. the "exceeds" marketing language. Sludge might be a toss-up, but my bet is on GC as the better in that category. However, I am still working on my 85-bottle GC green stash - I am be a little partial.

Re: 85 bottle stash.

Hahahahahahahaha Yeah Partial indeed! ;-)

Long story short, I don't know if I should run a second run of M1 (tdt) at the next OCI, or some of the GC I just bought with a Wix filter? Ps. 2oo2 Mazda Protege: GC yes or no?

Thanks Gmorg.
Overkill: Whatsup.

-A

Originally Posted By: ARMY_Guy
Re: 85 bottle stash.

Hahahahahahahaha Yeah Partial indeed! ;-)

Long story short, I don't know if I should run a second run of M1 (tdt) at the next OCI, or some of the GC I just bought with a Wix filter? Ps. 2oo2 Mazda Protege: GC yes or no?

Thanks Gmorg.
Overkill: Whatsup.

-A

The GC you bought is not the same as the coveted "green" GC that the above poster likely has a stash of.

On paper, the TDT is the "beefier" oil, but I have no idea how that would translate in the real world.

I'm a touch partial too, I'm building a large stash of TDT, currently have 15L on hand and intend on running it in everything.

From the UOA section, GC Gold has proven to be at least as good as GC Green. Unless you need the added viscosity or higher TBN of TDT, I would still go with GC - especially if it is already on hand.

Current GC: " Exceeds ... API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD... European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LLA-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline
Engine Oils."

Current TDT: "Meets or Exceeds...API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/ SM/SL/SJ...ACEA E7/E5/ ...Caterpillar ECF-2,ECF-3"

I understand that "being approved" and "exceeding requirements" are not the same thing and would prefer to not get into topic here. The point is that if an oil can meet the VW and the MB requirements, then it if very difficult to surpass. Based on the marketing, GC appears to be a gasoline engine oil that is adequate for diesel engines and TDT appears to be a diesel oil that can meet the low zinc recommendations for gasoline engines. GC cannot meet the low zinc requirements of an SM oil.

I think that both are great formulations.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
Current GC: " Exceeds ... API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD... European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LLA-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline
Engine Oils."

Current TDT: "Meets or Exceeds...API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/ SM/SL/SJ...ACEA E7/E5/ ...Caterpillar ECF-2,ECF-3"

I understand that "being approved" and "exceeding requirements" are not the same thing and would prefer to not get into topic here. The point is that if an oil can meet the VW and the MB requirements, then it if very difficult to surpass. Based on the marketing, GC appears to be a gasoline engine oil that is adequate for diesel engines and TDT appears to be a diesel oil that can meet the low zinc recommendations for gasoline engines. GC cannot meet the low zinc requirements of an SM oil.

I think that both are great formulations.

I run the older CI-4+ formula, which was the same as Delvac 1.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck Meets or Exceeds the following industry and builder
specifications:
5W-40
API CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/CF/SL/SJ X
ACEA E7/E5/E4/E3 X
Caterpillar ECF-1 X
Cummins CES 20072/20071 X
Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specification X
Ford WSS-M2C171-D X
Global DHD-1 X
JASO DH-1 X

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 has the following builder approvals: 5W-40
Cummins CES 20078/20077/20076/20075 X
Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, EO-M Plus X
Mercedes Benz 228.5 X
Volvo VDS-3, VDS-2 X

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 also recommended for use in applications
requiring:
5W-40
Renault RVI RXD X

Many have had very good results running the TDT/D1 in the VW 505.01 spec'd TDI as well.

Agreed that both are fantastic products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back