GC use in sunny hot Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know GC is what everyone likes to use,and if you live up north,the 0W30 benefits you more.But,I live in the Tampa Bay area where the temperature very rarely gets below 35* in the winter,and exceeds 100* during the summer.Any opinions on using this oil in these weather conditions are greatly appreciated.
1997 F150
4.2V6
106K miles
BTW, its currently 70* as i'm typing this!
tongue.gif

Hellooo, I think this is a case of selective reading. You are seeing the 0W rating and not the 12.something Cts @ 100 deg. C! In other words, this oil is nearly an SAE 40 at high temp. Something that I could live with very easily in almost any engine, anywhere on the face of the earth. Except for the engines that are designed for an SAE 20.

That is one of the reasons to use it. It is 12.1-12.3 cSt @ 100&#176C (212&#176F) vs 9.9-10.5 cSt for the M1 30 Weights. M1 0W-40 is closer to GC than the 30-Weights. It is also extremely stable.

Gene

If you are considering using GC, you shouldn't have a problem. While you won't be able to enjoy the advantage of a 0w, GC is a heavy 30 wt and, if this stuff is actually Castrol SLX, it is very shear stable per Terry's recent findings - web page.

BTW, its 50 here in northern PA right now and was 60 earlier today.

I got fantastic results on a 5k run of GC in my last car (V-6 Camry). It was in during the first half of the last summer. I work in New Orleans and live in Pensacola. My thermal stress is effectively the same as yours. No problem with GC in hot climates at all.

I run it in my car here is Los Angeles. So far, I have 7,200 miles on my second run of GC and I have had no problems.

It easily handled 6K+ miles of Central Texas summer heat in a vehicle who's driver has a depleted uranium right foot. Should do just as well in Tampa summers too.

And it's 65 here at just after 2am
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter:
If I decide to use GC what OCI should I use? 6k miles,or more?
dunno.gif

Start out with a 5 or 6k interval, drain it and pull a sample, and then decide how far you can go based on your UOAs. You'll probably find it'll go beyond 6k quite easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back