GC type oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there are other oils that are sold in exclusive formulations at one outlet that are branded that same as oils sold at the majority of stores? Could there be WalMart Mobil1 that is totaly different than auto part stores M1? I'm just curious and can't figure out why AZ has the GC exclusive.

flyboy4947,

I wish GC was available here in Leavenworth County Kansas. I could only find two bottles of it at AutoZone. Where are you finding it in Kansas City?

Thanks,
Rob

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
If there was such a thing as WalMart M1 which was totally different from regular M1, then there would have to be a separate specification listed for it on Mobil's website.

The other way around - having the same product being called or being branded as two different things - is quite possible and common. Oil filters come to mind here.

As for why GC is only found at AZ stores, I have no idea.

There's not a seperate spec for GC on Castrol's website...just 0w30 syntec....I was just curious, maybe theres was another elixer we're missing.

Well, yeah, but according to Castrol USA, GC does not exist. Or another words, regardless of whether it says "Made in USA" or "Made in Germany", they claim it's the same thing. But I do see your point.
smile.gif

It's almost like with cars - many people will prefer a Honda made in Japan, than a Honda made in the US for quality/reliability reasons. It's supposed to be the same product regardless where it was made, but it's not always so.

Just a few days ago, Toyota in Europe announced recalls on some Corollas. Interestingly, only Corollas made in the UK and in Turkey are recalled, and the Corollas made in Japan.

Sorry for the slight
offtopic.gif

oilguy3, I have been trying to find a suitable alternative to the REAL GC with the dual purpose PAO derived ester base/add component.

No luck yet so we may have to just make our own.

BITOG 0w-30 is my name choice.

Actually we may have a reasonably priced alternative from a local boy that frequents this site...stay tuned.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Actually we may have a reasonably priced alternative from a local boy that frequents this site...stay tuned.

Terry,

I surely hope he is an Elf 'cause if he's not, it just won't be the same....sorry.
frown.gif

If there was such a thing as WalMart M1 which was totally different from regular M1, then there would have to be a separate specification listed for it on Mobil's website.

The other way around - having the same product being called or being branded as two different things - is quite possible and common. Oil filters come to mind here.

As for why GC is only found at AZ stores, I have no idea.

quote:

Originally posted by oilguy3:
Does anyone know if there are other oils that are sold in exclusive formulations at one outlet that are branded that same as oils sold at the majority of stores? Could there be WalMart Mobil1 that is totaly different than auto part stores M1? I'm just curious and can't figure out why AZ has the GC exclusive.

No! Mobil products at Wally World are the same as you will buy anywhere else. The Manufacturers will not put their reputation on the line by doing that. Different Mobil formulation that are Wally specific will be branded as SuperTech.

Other products such as paint may do it, but you will see a label saying "formulated exclusively for Wal-Mart".

Castrol will allow anyone to sell GC. It only seems like AZ USA and Wal-Mart Canada have "chosen" to. There of course Internet sales of GC. There is no exclusive agreements at all at work here. OW-30's aren't hot retail sellers, that's all.

Castrol suggests that about all you can do is ask your favorite retailer to stock it. Wal-Mart especially and other retailers constantly review what moves from the shelves quickly and if not, it gets eliminated. Advance Auto did carry Redline, but is dropping it, same reason. No one likes inventory that doesn't move quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back