GC Syntec Green 0W-30, 5,250 miles, 2005 Tacoma 4.0 V6 1GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my third analysis with the Green. Looks like it took my Taco 15k to break in
cheers.gif

Everything I was worried about in the first two have come down. (copper, iron, silicon, manganese, and the flashpoint)

Here's a link to my first analysis:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003278
and the second...
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003448#000000

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
4.0 V6 - 1GR-FE engine
5250 miles on Castrol Syntec 0w/30 Green, 6 qts, no makeup oil added
20100 total miles on engine
K&N Gold Oil Filter HP-2009 (1/2 qt oversize)
Stock paper air filter
FP60 used entire run
  • Alumnium - 2
    Chromium - 0
    Iron - 4
    Copper - 4
    Lead - 2
    Tin - 0
    Moly - 10
    Nickel - 0
    Manganese - 5
    Silver - 0
    Titanium - 0
    Potassium - 1
    Boron - 6
    Silicon - 12
    Sodium - 2
    Calcium - 2428
    Magnesium - 150
    Phosphorus - 736
    Zinc - 862
    Barium - 0
    SUS Viscosity at 210 - 62.2
    Flashpoint - 400
    Fuel - Antifreeze - 0
    Water - 0
    Insolubles - 0.2
    TBN - 5.2

Haha. Yup, I just posted mine two days ago using GC Gold.

This UOA looks much better. I'm about 4,000 miles behind you. Was this run on strictly 85 octane?

I've started running 93 in my truck. We will see how the next UOA turns out. I've got GC Green and a K&N oil filter on there now also. I started using 93 octane, even though it's more expensive, because I got a 2 mpg increase in just two tanks.

Just so you know, I believe the oversized K&N filter only offers 0.3 quarts more capacity, not a full 1/2 quart.

This run was with 85 octane for the whole cycle. I was using 91 during my first UOA and had high manganese and fuel numbers. I did see an 1-2 mpg increase with the premium fuel. After using FP60, I now get that same increase with regular 85 octane and have dropped my manganese and fuel levels back where they should be. I did try FP60 with a couple tanks of 91, but didn't get any more mpg. A full 6 qts of oil takes me just above the full line on the dipstick, nothing to worry about. I also managed to stay out of the airbox for the entire cycle too. I had a bad habit of tapping the dust out of the filter every couple weeks.
I have been changing this oil at roughly 5000 miles to stay in line with warranty, but I think I'll take this cycle up to 7500.

Hmmm... well I've been using FP since December. I picked up maybe 0.5 mpg from the FP with 87 octane. I did notice a smoother reaction from the gas pedal, so I kept using it. Since I started using 93 and FP, I'm up another 2 mpg.

I am at sea level so that may be where our results differ. Terry told you to drop the octane level because of the altitude right?

I had high Manganese also on my first UOA. I used mainly 89 before I started using FP. It didn't seem like the Manganese (5 ppm) affected anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back