GC so good it leaks out of bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I had to make a visit to the local autozone to see it they had it. They did but every quart had oil on the outside of the bottle. What is with that? It works its way into every crevice even the threads on the bottle it comes in.
dunno.gif

I've seen a lot of leaky bottles here too, in fact I had one that just kept leaking and leaking until eventually there was nothing left in the bottle! Luckily I had put that one in the garage with some rags under it.

I've avoided a few bottles in the stores because they were leaking pretty badly too. And out of my 28L supply, at least 4 or 5 of them have sprung minor leaks, even with the cap still being on tight. Wierd.

Hear is a guess. It is imported from Germany probably by air and the pressure differential causes leaks. Doesn't answer the fact that Mobil 1 seems to have the same issue unless it is also shipped by air rather than land. I can understand as I just returned from a trip to California by air and my ears took awhile to get back to normal.
grin.gif

Most of the bottles I found were leaking too. Had to buy them though--they were the last 12 bottles left in Denver.
grin.gif

I just tightened all the caps up good and now there's nothing leaking out.

I've only run across one bottle that was leaking badly...and less than 10 that were weeping. By the way just so you know how supply seems to be going...went by our most abundantly stocked Autozone today and they had 4 or more cases, at least two of which were new since last Sunday. One thing I have noticed though, after hitting a max time stamp of 2007, they now seem to be working backwards (1900s).

[ September 12, 2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

There is definitely something about this oil which makes it leak out of containers. I put some in a sample bottle yesterday and put it inside the little cardboard box the lab provides, and then put it in my car to drop off at Purolator this morning. When I got to Purolator, there was a spot of oil on the outside of the box, and I opened it up and found a little bit of the oil had seeped out. I tightened up the bottle pretty good too. Very strange.

I should have the VOA results on this sample by tomorrow evening.

I agree I've noticed it too...mostly from pre-opened containers....or if you only use to top off, some inevitably leaks down and around the whole bottle....maybe because it's so viscous...there's extraneous creep??? (com'mon...it's Mon. AM!!)

TMP (a triester) and most ester oils have this uncanny knack for creeping and spreading if there is any way it can get past a bottle seal. I have a heck of time keeping TMP and other polyolesters from flowing down the sides of containers, once a seal is broken. As I have stated in other threads, esters are their own surfactants.

The GC most likely contains complex esters so once a film is established, its gonna try to flow and spread. NEO, Mobil, and Amsoil do the same.

I'll add VP racing fuels 100% veggie esters oils to that list.

I have two bottles here in my office that seems to continously weep oil after they were opened for testing for a racing boat customer.

Is that a Canadian Skunk, Pat ?

quote:

Is that a Canadian Skunk, Pat ?

Hehe, he's too skinny to be a Canadian skunk, the ones we've got in my area just love to dig through my garbage and have a feast!
smile.gif

The one thing about GC is that it doesn't seem to cause more leaks once it's inside the engine though. The small oil leak I've got in my car is no worse off than before, and perhaps even a tad better (I'll know for sure at the end of the interval)

Hi,
well Castrol in OZ must be wishing their old SLX stock would just leak away!

I was in an AutObahn store near Brisbane today and it had a lone bottle of obsolete German green Castrol SLX 0w-30 SJ/CF for sale.
AT $A21.95 for 1 litre!!!!

As well, they had Castrol R 10w-60 SJ/CF for sale alongside the new R brew - at the same price of $A69.95 for 5 litres

What a joke - Castrol really have a marketing and image problem here

Regards

Doug,
I think that industrially at least, they are on the way out.

Our local salesman was visiting one day, and enquiring about other lubricant applications that I was interested in, that Castrol might be able to help.

I pointed out the voith fluid couplings (10,000 hp variable slip fluid couplings), that run hot and are highly aerated. I want to find something with increased oxidation resistance.

Three days later, I get a phonecall from the BP technician about "my query".

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
TMP (a triester) and most ester oils have this uncanny knack for creeping and spreading if there is any way it can get past a bottle seal. I have a heck of time keeping TMP and other polyolesters from flowing down the sides of containers, once a seal is broken. As I have stated in other threads, esters are their own surfactants.

The GC most likely contains complex esters so once a film is established, its gonna try to flow and spread. NEO, Mobil, and Amsoil do the same.

Does Redline fall into this?? OR does it use a different style ester.
Just wondering.

CRW
patriot.gif

[ September 16, 2003, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Christopher R. Wise ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back