GC right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am hearing all these great things about German Castrol, but is it right for me? I drive a 95 525i daily and am using 20w50 dino oil right now. A popular grade among my cumminity is M1 0w40. Which should i choose?

Unless other Bimmer owners on the board have objections--from actual experience with BMW engines--and if you are not consuming oil, I know of no reason why you can't--or shouldn't--use GC.

quote:

Originally posted by liquidtiger720:
So, I am hearing all these great things about German Castrol, but is it right for me? I drive a 95 525i daily and am using 20w50 dino oil right now. A popular grade among my cumminity is M1 0w40. Which should i choose?

M50 and M52 engines (Pre 98) called for 15W-40 mineral oils( above 50F). GC, as a 30W on the thicker end of the range (its almost a 40W) is perfect for that engine.

BD2

2000 323i (GC)
1999 528iT (GC)
1995 530i (Rotella syn 5w-40)
1996 A4 2.8 (Maxlife syn 5w-30)

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear BenDarDunDat . Thank you all for your insights. I was worried that it might be too light for the m50tu engine. =) Ill be switching over if i can find it. Thank you again.

Personally Id go with a 5w-40 synthetic, or a 15w-40 diesel oil. Delo 400 has provided some excellent results in these engines, though some folks say it is reallt thick anymore.

GC is a heavy 30 wt, nearly 40, so it would probably be a good match, but Id probably want something a little heavier in there.

JMH

liquidtiger,

Good to see you on BITOG. I've seen your posts on some BMW forums that I visit. Very nice e34, btw.
welcome.gif

You can find GC at the AutoZone in San Mateo. I've been running it for over a year in my wife's '97 328i where it's done really well. See here: Recent UOA

Hi nel, Thank you for the compliments. Which forums did you see me on?
Thanks for the pointer to auto zone. I go to college of san mateo...so I hope you are refering to the auto zone near hillsdale mall on el camino I believe?

I am not near the level of understanding the UOA's but, I will learn slowly.

JHZR2, I heard some good things about the delo too...I'll probly try both out, hopefully no leaks will spring out after changing over to synthetic.

Yes, the AutoZone near Hillsdale is the one I'm referring to. And, the forum I most remember seeing you at is Bimmer.info I like the community, but just haven't gotten to the point of joining.

I bought some GC today, but I wasnt sure where to look for the production date...or whatever it is called. I'm pretty sure this is the new gold stuff...should I even use it? Most of you guys seem pretty sceptical about the new gold stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by liquidtiger720:
I bought some GC today, but I wasnt sure where to look for the production date...or whatever it is called. I'm pretty sure this is the new gold stuff...should I even use it? Most of you guys seem pretty sceptical about the new gold stuff.

Congrats on finding GC. The production code will be in white letters on the bottome of the bottle. All GC after M0502.... will be Gold in color. M0501.... & earlier were green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back