GC or Mobil 0w40 for 05 Volvo XC70

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know both would be quite suitable for this car, just want help deciding. The car is an 2005 XC70, its a family car that see's quite abit of hwy mileage and a decent amount of city. I have narrowed it down to these 2 oils. Someone can chime in if they think there is a better oil out there for this engine. I have looked through the UOA and only found a couple for this engine.

Thanks

Looks like Mobil's site is recommending M1 EP 5w-30 for this application.

But either one of the ones you listed above will work fine, IMO.

It does call for a 30 wt, I figured with the Mobil 0w40 shearing quite quickly to a 30wt I would go with that. Its quite hot up here and know those engines get quite warm, would feel better with a 40wt. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
I'm using M1 5-30EP in my Focus and it's doing well . Last Sept I did a UOA at 9200 miles and the oil could easily gone much longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
It does call for a 30 wt, I figured with the Mobil 0w40 shearing quite quickly to a 30wt I would go with that. Its quite hot up here and know those engines get quite warm, would feel better with a 40wt. Thanks for the reply.

I agree but the GC is a thick 30 so should be good in your heat also,there both fine fine oils just pick one and go you'll be well protected.

Awsome, thanks guys. I think ill go the GC route. Gotta love our extremes of weather up here, -30c to +34c with a humidex of 36-40c. I know there are places hotter, but its hot for us :)

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
Awsome, thanks guys. I think ill go the GC route. Gotta love our extremes of weather up here, -30c to +34c with a humidex of 36-40c. I know there are places hotter, but its hot for us :)

Similar temperature extremes here in the suburbs of Chicago. GC has been handling them fine for me. I also used it when I was living in Florida - no problems either. Most of us think that just because we can't handle the heat, our cars can't either, but that's not really the case. Car's cooling system is better than ours.

Which ever you can get for the best price.

I used to pay about 6.50 a quart for GC, however, I can get M1 0w40 for 5 dollars a quart where I work, so I stick with that.

Any full synth oil should be good. Quite hot in Ontario? Coin toss between your choices. Why not use XD3 or Duron 0w30?

I'd worry more about the transfer case(if AWD) and the transmission, and not worry as much about the engine.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Any full synth oil should be good. Quite hot in Ontario? Coin toss between your choices. Why not use XD3 or Duron 0w30?

I'd worry more about the transfer case(if AWD) and the transmission, and not worry as much about the engine.

I also forgot to suggest XD3 0W30, since the OP was in Canada.

It gets hot and humid in Southern Ontario, almost as hot as Texas, but without the brutal regularity of Texas :) (especially this year, so far).

One could run XD3 year-round in the same way as GC with most of the same properties. XD3 is supposed to be quite good. I also like their 15W40 product.

Considering it was 30-40C (86f-104f) here lately, not sure what you consider hot, but that's hot for me :)

I thought about the XD3, I was going to go with it, but the depot was closed the day I wanted to change the oil.

Last edited:
I have used M1 0w40 in a '04 V70 2.5T AWD and was not thrilled with the UOA ofter around 6k miles. Wondering if 5w30 EP may do better or if I just need to go down to no more than 5k intervals (7.5k suggested, but I don't think this car will be able to do that with any oil with all the short trip city driving it does).

Erik

Does the XC70 transfer case have it's own sump, or does it share with the tranny?

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

Does the XC70 transfer case have it's own sump, or does it share with the tranny?

It does.

Volvo calls it the angle gear or bevel gear (depending on where you are looking).

The fluid turns a nasty brown color over time and should be replaced about every 50K miles. However, failures of the actual gear is rare, the biggest failure point is a splined sleeve that joins the bevel gear to the differential ring gear. This is usually caused by tires of different brands or tires of different amounts of wear being on the same vehicle (since people will replace single tires as they wear out completely).

The maximum recommended difference between tread depths on an AWD Volvo is 4/32".

Also, to the commenter about the transaxle. The Aisin Warner boxes that Volvo uses in these vehicles is bulletproof. As long as you do a flush when the fluid gets brown. It's expensive but worth it.

The GM transaxle found in the first generation inline six vehicles with a transversely mounted engine are the ones that have given Volvo a bad name with transaxles. However, these are rare and easily avoidable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

It does.

Volvo calls it the angle gear or bevel gear (depending on where you are looking).

The fluid turns a nasty brown color over time and should be replaced about every 50K miles. However, failures of the actual gear is rare, the biggest failure point is a splined sleeve that joins the bevel gear to the differential ring gear. This is usually caused by tires of different brands or tires of different amounts of wear being on the same vehicle (since people will replace single tires as they wear out completely).

The maximum recommended difference between tread depths on an AWD Volvo is 4/32".

Also, to the commenter about the transaxle. The Aisin Warner boxes that Volvo uses in these vehicles is bulletproof. As long as you do a flush when the fluid gets brown. It's expensive but worth it.

The GM transaxle found in the first generation inline six vehicles with a transversely mounted engine are the ones that have given Volvo a bad name with transaxles. However, these are rare and easily avoidable.

Very interesting.

In my experience Volvo 5 pots like GC. I would use XD3 except it has a little higher ash content. I am not sure if this is cause for concern or not. For now I will keep the V70R on GC until the warranty expires. At that point I may switch to 0W-30 XD3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back