GC or M1 T&SUV for winter use

Status
Not open for further replies.

vet

I was planning to switchover to GC on my next OC but some threads here have mentioned GC's high viscosity at certain temps. I thought it would be great for cold weather use given the 0W-30 rating. I'm now using M1 5W-40 in my 2005 Subaru LGT. We can experience winter temps down to around 0 degrees Farenheit here in Maryland. Any opinions would be appreciated.

The T&SUV is really a 10w-40 as the viscoity @ 40c is around 100 cst. It will probably work, but @ it will be pretty thick. The viscoity for GC is around 68 cst at 40c so it will be better IMHO.

GC Viscosity, ASTM D 445 cSt 40C 54
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -43

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV

SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 102
cSt @ 100ºC 14.8
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 151
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.35
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 12
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 226
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.854

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:

API gasoline engine standards SL,SJ
API diesel engine standards CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF

Product Description

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is engineered for hard-working gasoline and diesel engines.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is a high performance, fully synthetic engine oil that provides unsurpassed lubrication and extreme temperature performance for today's gasoline and diesel engines operating in severe applications.

Features & Benefits

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV provides outstanding performance and protection for hardworking engines where towing, hauling and severe service are standard daily requirements.

Exceptional high temperature protection for hot running engines under heavy load.

Excellent low temperature protection for quick and easy start-ups in cold weather.

Keeps engines clean through outstanding resistance to high temperature varnish and low temperature sludge deposit formation.

Excellent oil consumption control

Outstanding wear protection and performance reserve to maximize engine life

Provides owners of both gasoline and diesel engines a single solution for exceptional performance and protection

Applications

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is a 5W-40 viscosity grade product and is recommended by ExxonMobil where 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-40 lubricants are specified.

Consult your owner's manual for specific manufacturer recommendations which may be required for warranty protection.

Mobil 1 Truck and SUV is recommended for use in gasoline and diesel powered trucks and SUVs built by Ford, GM, and DaimlerChrysler.

Mobil 1 Truck and SUV further meets the diesel engine requirements of Cummins, Powerstoke, Duramax and Navistar – for bigger, heavier duty truck applications, such as delivery vans and utility fleets.

Mobil 1 Truck and SUV is fully compatible with conventional engine oils.

Specifications & Approvals

Easy answer....GC for the cooler/cold months, M1 T&SUV for the rest of the year.
cheers.gif

Thanks for the advice. That will work out well since I can't seem to find T&SUV in Walmart since Katrina anyway.

I had T&SUV in the crankcase for our wunnerful hot Arkansas summers, then switched to GC for this winter. Question: Does anyone see any problems or benefits to summer T&SUV and winter GC in my Protege' 2.0? I know oils are supposed to be compatible, but...
dunno.gif

AndyH...olddognewtrks,

Om-m-m-m, what you said...you know what I mean...both of you wash your mouths out with soap...now.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back