GC or M1 green cap...something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car sees some abuse, is rather high mileage for its age (nearing 60k), and the engine sees a ton of heat.

I'm currently doing GC @ the OCI determined by the car's built in algorithm.

Does GC have good cleaning properties? How would M1 0w-30 compare?

The car calls for M1 5w-30 btw

Regular abuse + tons of heat would lead me to go with GC in Kentucky. It's a sturdy oil that maintains its visc better, has a higher HT/HS, etc.

No idea which would clean better, though.

GC will work great. If you want good cleaning properties, Pennzoil Platnium is the way to go.

If you have used nothing but GC with the factory OCI, you will have nothing to clean out though. . .

60k is not high miles,German Castrol is protecting you fine M1 would work fine too and keep you clean,take your pick and run it.

In your scenario, I would use the Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum since both are much more readily available and more reasonably priced if you can buy in bulk.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Doesn't that car require a GM4718M oil? I'd go with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 if it does.

yes, it does

I'm not concerned, I don't have a powertrain warranty

Originally Posted By: PT1
Isn't Mobil1 5w30 FF for that engine?

yes it is

Originally Posted By: daman
60k is not high miles,German Castrol is protecting you fine M1 would work fine too and keep you clean,take your pick and run it.

average about 24,000mi/yr

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
In your scenario, I would use the Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum since both are much more readily available and more reasonably priced if you can buy in bulk.

My local AutoZone is running low on GC, and I'm sure I'm the only customer that buys it, seeing as its a rural area. This is a concern for me.

Originally Posted By: 06jds377

In 2006 GM had a 100k powertrain warranty. Only the medium duty trucks or fleet did not.

Quote:
average about 24,000mi/yr

Lite weight...
grin2.gif

My 2005 has 132k and Busters 2005 has well over 100k.

60k is low miles. But remember that once you get 75,001 miles go to a high mileage oil!
shocked2.gif

(just kidding)

I'd go PP 5w-30 for the OLM if it was me.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

In 2006 GM had a 100k powertrain warranty. Only the medium duty trucks or fleet did not.

I would still have one had I not scattered 2nd gear through the side of the trans case.
LOL.gif

New transmission, no more powertrain.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I would still have one had I not scattered 2nd gear through the side of the trans case.
LOL.gif

New transmission, no more powertrain.
I think you still have the remainder of the 100k on the transmission unless they deemed it abuse. Then you are correct, no more warranty.

abuse

The dealer still has to cover their work for 12/12,000 though

Last edited:
Rural setting? If you have a Walmart in your area, I would use the highest quality synthetic that I could get there. Probably PP 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back