GC or M1 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to change the oil on Sprinter Van w/ the 5 cylinder turbo diesel. The manufacturer specifies M1 0W40 or any oil meeting MB229.5 Spec. The GC seems to meet this spec, but I am curious if it would be a good choice here in Oklahoma. We are headed into summer and daytime highs average high 90's to low 100's during the summer months. This is a delivery van and is driven every day during this heat. Which oil would be a better choice for this application? Thanks

I'm betting either oil would be good. GC is a thick 30 weight, the M1 is a thin 40. Both oils have a good following on here and I wouldn't be afraid to use either. My personal choice would be the M1.

Though they desire a 229.5 spec oil, I would reconsider diesel-spec oils for use in this application. M1 0w-40 is an excellent oil for applications that are designed for it, as well as some that arent. However, I have performed detailed analysis of various MB 228.x and 229.x specifications, and would suggest that if a synthetic diesel oil meeting 228.3 is available (I believe that the delvac 1 5w-40 meets 228.3), that it be utilized. 228.5 is an established spec, however I have not found any oils meeting it. 228.3 (and 229.3) are very robust specifications (with very little difference), and using 228.3 will provide you the benefit of an additive package tailored toward diesel engine operation, which will be of benefit.

Of course, warranty may well be an issue for you, and if so youll need to rethink.

The M1 0w-40 meets GM-LL-025-A and GM-LL-025-B specs, right? the B-spec is dedicated to diesel engines, unlike the 229.5 spec... thus why I ask.

JMH

JHZR2, thank you for your reply. The vehicle now has 39,000 miles on it so the primary warranty has expired. It may have some kind of extended drivetrain coverage, I'm not sure about that. I am interested in what you say about the diesel oils, as I want to provide the best protection possible for this vehicle. The previous 2 oil changes were done at the dealer and they filled it with M1 0W40. It seems to do well, but I have noticed that it turns black very soon after being added. I know that color means very little, but I have always been concerned that it would turn black so quick. I will investigate the info you provided and see if I can find an oil that will meet my needs. But if I am reading you correctly, you are saying that neither one of these oils is best for my application. Thanks again.

You could use the best oil in the world, and it would still turn black immediately after putting it in.

Its the soot that resides in the engine... something along the lines of carbon black... I guess thats one of the reasons that carbon black makes such good ink
smile.gif

The reality is that a diesel oil... whether a syn like delvac 1 (a.k.a. Mobil1 turbodieseltruck) 5w-40, which is highly regarded, or a 'standard' diesel oil like chevron delo 400 15w-40, mobil delvac 1300 15w-40 or whatnot, will have an additive package designed for what your engine is... an EGR equipped diesel.

Now, I have full faith in Daimler engineering for selection of their oil. They surely have made a good choice when selecting Mobil 1 0w-40 229.5 spec. However, IMO, for a diesel, you can do better.

Id suggest staying with a syn oil, even if it costs a bit more $$$. The mobil1 product with a diesel additive package is about as good as youll get... However, there have been great things said about schaeffers series 9000 (blend), and would consider using that too if you could access it.

Don't worry about color... buy a good synthetic 5w-40 API CI-4 rated oil... you can go to wal mart and get the mobil product, or if you want to save a bit, try the rotella synthetic 5w-40 diesel oil... and go with it.

Our last few oil changes in my father's 96 E300D have been EXCELLENT using the Mobil1 product, and Im sure youll see the same. We did the OE specced 7500 mile change, but wear was so low, and soot loading so low, that we went to 10k... same deal. Now we will likely just change once a year.

Hope this helps,

JMH

I agree with JHZR2, I would use the more robust Mobil 1 5w40. That oil has gotten tons of good reviews from gas engines to diesel engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back