GC or M1 0w40 for 2.5 Jetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Regular price for it up here is $12/L
smile.gif
Sometimes Canadian Tire has it on sale for $9.99.

Actually, the last time CT had a sale on 1L bottles of M1, the 0w40 was $8.39

Originally Posted By: Patman

Regular price for it up here is $12/L
smile.gif
Sometimes Canadian Tire has it on sale for $9.99.

Actually, the last time CT had a sale on 1L bottles of M1, the 0w40 was $8.39

Your CT has better deals than mine! LOL!! When was that????

Believe it or not I actually keep a Word document showing when M1 goes on sale at CT and the last time they had a sale on 1L bottles was in September and it was $8.39 then. That included all of their viscosities, including 0w40 and 0w20. I wish the 0w40 was available in 4.4L jugs, as CT's last sale on M1 jugs was at the beginning of this month and it was $36.69 (and last May they had it as low as $31.79!)

I wonder why your CT doesn't sell it as low as mine though? I thought that when it's advertised in the flyer it's the same price across the entire country? I do know that some stores have unadvertised specials, my local store sold M1 in the 4.4 plus 1 liter bonus recently for $35.99 but it wasn't advertised in the flyer, but that's the only time I've seen that happen in the past year or so.

Believe it or not I actually keep a Word document showing when M1 goes on sale at CT and the last time they had a sale on 1L bottles was in September and it was $8.39 then. That included all of their viscosities, including 0w40 and 0w20. I wish the 0w40 was available in 4.4L jugs, as CT's last sale on M1 jugs was at the beginning of this month and it was $36.69 (and last May they had it as low as $31.79!)

I wonder why your CT doesn't sell it as low as mine though? I thought that when it's advertised in the flyer it's the same price across the entire country? I do know that some stores have unadvertised specials, my local store sold M1 in the 4.4 plus 1 liter bonus recently for $35.99 but it wasn't advertised in the flyer, but that's the only time I've seen that happen in the past year or so.

I think we discussed this back in September too, IIRC.
smile.gif
Not sure why the GTA appears to get better deals at times?

I think we discussed this back in September too, IIRC.
smile.gif
Not sure why the GTA appears to get better deals at times?

It's offset by the ridiculously high gas prices we pay in the GTA compared to other areas of Ontario, but that's another topic
smile.gif

If the objective is to maximize cold start performance we would be remiss not to mention the other HDEO 0W-30s available in Canada that are lighter than M1 0W-40. Probabily the most impressive is the PAO based Mobil Delvac Elite 222 (nee Esso ED-3) 0W-30 with it's MRV of only 14,900cP; lower than many 0W-20s.

We also have Petro-Canada Duron 0W-30 with it's MRV of 17,456cP and Shell Rotella T5 0W-30. Don't know the MRV spec' but with a VI of 180 it should be lighter than M1 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The SN version is a heavier oil across the board with a higher MRV of 31,000cP vs the SM oil. Nevertheless, compared to GC it's still lighter.

Yes it's just a matter of time before the stock of M1 SM 0W-40 is used up, Imperial Oil is not even showing it any longer on their web-site. I'd stock up on it before it's gone for forever.

Is SM really considered that much better? I've used both SM and SN in my GTO in addition to GC and M1 5w-30. The only real difference other than louder lifters on 5w-30 is 1-2psi in oil pressure.

What I am getting at is there any real reason to freak out and shelf clear as much 0w-40 SM as possible or are we just splitting hairs here?

I don't know if we're splitting hairs; I'm just pointing out that the spec's are significantly different. Patman has asked the question and it's been answered. I don't see "any reason to freak out" as you put it, and i don't think anyone has. We're just calmly discussing differences in motor oil which is what we do on BITOG.

BTW, the latest version of M1 SN 0W-40 has a 35,000cP MRV. This will have no importance to those using the oil at temp's above freezing but it will to those choosing an oil for unaided starts at much colder temp's.

I'm glad I waited, as I just got the advance copy of the next Canadian Tire flyer and starting on Friday M1 is on sale for $8.39 per liter, including 0w40
smile.gif
Now I just need this snow to melt so I can do the oil change in the Jetta!

I'm glad I waited, as I just got the advance copy of the next Canadian Tire flyer and starting on Friday M1 is on sale for $8.39 per liter, including 0w40
smile.gif
Now I just need this snow to melt so I can do the oil change in the Jetta!

NICE!!! Assuming that this applies to my area, I'll be getting a case
smile.gif

NICE!!! Assuming that this applies to my area, I'll be getting a case
smile.gif

If it doesn't apply to your area you can always use it as an excuse to take a road trip in the M5!
wink.gif

Bought 6L of 0w40 and 1L of 5w30 (for top up on the Corvette) so now I'm ready to do the oil change in the Jetta! Just waiting on mother nature now, to warm up and melt the snow around here!

Bought 6L of 0w40 and 1L of 5w30 (for top up on the Corvette) so now I'm ready to do the oil change in the Jetta! Just waiting on mother nature now, to warm up and melt the snow around here!

Thanks for the heads-up on this, I picked up 12L of the 0w-40 today
smile.gif

All still SM here BTW. I have yet to see a bottle of the new SN formula
21.gif

smile.gif

Glad to help!
smile.gif

Quote:

21.gif

Same here, I wonder when we'll see the SN formula of 0w40?

Don't know, honestly, I was hoping before the summer, as I'd like to try out the higher HTHS version during summer driving conditions
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I hope this sale lasts til Monday. I can't get into the city to get a case til then.

It is on until Thursday, IIRC.

smile.gif

21.gif

Isn't the SM version considered to be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back