GC or M1 0w40 for 2.5 Jetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
My wife's 2006 Jetta is currently running Motul 5w40 but I have found that the engine struggles to turn over quickly on cold winter mornings (anything below 10F for instance) so I had been planning on putting in M1 0w40 at it's next oil change (probably in April) so that next winter it turns over easier. I had kind of forgotten about GC as a possible contender until this week's Canadian Tire flyer showed up and GC is on sale for $7.39 per liter. I've been waiting for M1 to go on sale to stock up for the change, but only the 4.4L jugs have gone on sale (and 0w40 is only sold in 1L bottles here) and when M1 does go on sale it's never as low as $7.39 per liter, but more like $8.39 to $8.99.

I know that both oils are very good choices for this engine, but am curious as to whether or not M1 is worth the extra expense in this case, and which one of the two would give easier starting in temperatures around 0 to 10F?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
We can still get the PAO based SM version of M1 0W-40 (HTHSV 3.6cP, VI 187, MRV 24,000cP) which is lighter on start-up than GC so that's what I'd go with.

What about the SN version of M1 0w40? Eventually I'm sure we'll get that up here too, how does it compare to GC in terms of cold starting?

The cold starting performance of M1 0W-40 may be better on paper but in practical terms the difference is little. If you're seriously anal about the figures you buy according to M1 is the way to go, but GC 0W-30 is still a very solid contender on the cold start front and would likely suit you perfectly with a couple of extra bucks to boot. Its a thick 30 vs a thin 40 so the difference there is hard to take a stab at, but realistically in most engines you will benefit in cold weather with a slightly thinner oil at operating temperatures. They tend to heat faster (vis a vis, short trips) which is better for the oil in terms of moisture buildup. Again though, the difference here is up to debate. I would argue get GC; a difference in $10-15 in oil is a $10-15 difference you likely won't notice unless you benchtest the engine.

But then again some people swear by M1, some GC.

Last edited:
The SN version is a heavier oil across the board with a higher MRV of 31,000cP vs the SM oil. Nevertheless, compared to GC it's still lighter.

Yes it's just a matter of time before the stock of M1 SM 0W-40 is used up, Imperial Oil is not even showing it any longer on their web-site. I'd stock up on it before it's gone for forever.

The SN version is a heavier oil across the board with a higher MRV of 31,000cP vs the SM oil. Nevertheless, compared to GC it's still lighter.

Yes it's just a matter of time before the stock of M1 SM 0W-40 is used up, Imperial Oil is not even showing it any longer on their web-site. I'd stock up on it before it's gone for forever.

My Chrysler dealer still has skids of it, so I've got it available to me for quite a while by the looks of things.

OVERKILL, what does your Chrysler dealer charge for it?

Under $10 for me. They beat the CT sale price from last year, if that gives you an idea. I can't give the exact price, as I have an extremely good relationship with them, as I do their computer/network work. I do them favours, they do the same for me.

I have decided to pass on the GC and wait for the next sale on M1 0w40
smile.gif

I broke-in our PowerMate generator with the Tecumseh HM-100 10 HP engine with straight Castrol 30 weight. And then put GC in it. One of my brothers pulled the start rope at least once with for both of those oils on cold days. I had not told him about putting GC in the engine, but when he pulled the rope on a cold day, he commented about the rope being much easier to pull than it was in the past. I then told him about the different oil that was in it now. Unsolicited comments like that stand out as pretty good proof that GC is a good cold start oil.

Originally Posted By: jigen
How about the new Castrol 0w40? I am considering this for my next change.

I have never seen it up here, and it's not on Castrol Canada's website.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I broke-in our PowerMate generator with the Tecumseh HM-100 10 HP engine with straight Castrol 30 weight. And then put GC in it. One of my brothers pulled the start rope at least once with for both of those oils on cold days. I had not told him about putting GC in the engine, but when he pulled the rope on a cold day, he commented about the rope being much easier to pull than it was in the past. I then told him about the different oil that was in it now. Unsolicited comments like that stand out as pretty good proof that GC is a good cold start oil.

Well compared to a straight-30, almost anything would've been lighter.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Under $10 for me. They beat the CT sale price from last year, if that gives you an idea. I can't give the exact price, as I have an extremely good relationship with them, as I do their computer/network work. I do them favours, they do the same for me.

I bought 2 M1 oil changes, M1 0W40 with M1 cartridge filter, from Pep Boys a while ago for $29.99. I wasn't sure it was a good deal because I got PP, PU, Synpower ... usually for less than $2/qt with rebate(s), and some was more than FAR(rebate checks were more than I paid for it). Now I think M1 0W40 for $5/qt is a good deal.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I bought 2 M1 oil changes, M1 0W40 with M1 cartridge filter, from Pep Boys a while ago for $29.99. I wasn't sure it was a good deal because I got PP, PU, Synpower ... usually for less than $2/qt with rebate(s), and some was more than FAR(rebate checks were more than I paid for it). Now I think M1 0W40 for $5/qt is a good deal.

Regular price for it up here is $12/L
smile.gif
Sometimes Canadian Tire has it on sale for $9.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back