GC or BC in Audi 1.8t?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently found an autozone in my area that carries both gc 0w-30 and bc 5w-40. The question I have for the castrol veterans is which would give the best overall performance and protection in a 1.8t? The car has no consumption issues and has almost 100k miles on it. I am just finishing up an ARX rinse and am trying to pick the best synthetic oil for this car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are many happy 1.8t owners here on BITOG using GC. I have yet to see a bad UOA from this oil, and not just in a 1.8t engine.

That said, the BC should do OK in this engine as well.

I'm guessing GC will hold up better over longer drain intervals though.

FWIW, I use GC in my VW 1.8T. As far as BC vs. GC, here's how I see it:

If you are going to drive the car in a VERY HOT climate, or at sustained high speeds (100mph+), go with BC. In all other conditions, I would use GC. That's my $.02
smile.gif

I think w2 has given you sound advice; I would add this...IF you regularly drive in the conditions he described that cause him to recommend BC, I would limit OCIs to 5K....but that is just me.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jtn26:
Thanks for all the replies guys. So, is it the general consensus that bc is a group III synthetic?

It is a big unknown. I would almost like to see a full workup on BC like was done on GC. I have not seen enough or know enough about UOA and VOA to really know. Others here might. It would be nice though since GC seems to be getting harder to get.

Thanks for all the replies guys. So, is it the general consensus that bc is a group III synthetic?

quote:

Originally posted by jtn26:

jtn,

I at first thought that, but I now believe it to be full synthetic. My recommendation for a 5K OCI with BC is not based on the premise of it being a Grp III but on the conditions stated by w2, that being hot temps, high speed (it doesn't have to be 100mph+ to qualify as high speed
grin.gif
) driving with a turbo. I have driven much in the land of the Utes...long stretches in the summer between St George and points west certainly qualify.
grin.gif

[ May 07, 2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back