GC on sale at AutoZone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All!

As you can see, I'm fairly new here. I've been hanging out a while though, and feel that I'm starting to become addicted.
shocked.gif

For instance, I went in search of GC last night, eager to try it and despite the fact that I'm not due for a change and have a bunch of Mobil 1 on the shelf (which I've been very happy with, BTW). I found the GC at the AZ right down the street from my house. It was buy 5, get 1 free. The price worked out to about $4.16/qt. Not too shabby, I thought, and good luck, too. Also, they had exactly 6 quarts, go figure.

Now for my question. I've always been a die-hard 3k changer, even with the M1. Nothing too good for my baby, you know. I'm starting to see what a waste of money and oil this is, however, and would like to extend this out, but am not sure exactly what approach to take. The options I'm considering are:

1 - change at the usual 3k and send a sample for analysis, then change based on the recommendation and send another sample
2 - wait for the "change engine oil" message to appear (I've got a 2000 Monte Carlo SS with the GM engine oil life system), send a sample, then do the next change at the lab-recommended interval, then send another sample
3 - pick an interval, say 5,000 miles, then change and send a sample, then, change a lab-recommended interval and send a new sample
4 - grab a sample at 3k without a full change, top off the oil, then change it at the interval recommended by the lab.

Of course, I'm open to other options too. Any thoughts?

Hey, at least you take good care of your car.
grin.gif

A good dino oil can go 5000 miles, imo. A decent synth can go 6000-8000, no problem. GC is used for 60,000km by manufacturers in Europe, that is pushing it, imo.

Most cars I service, I shoot for twice-yearly changes. I adjust the oil quality for the miles driven in the 6 months. 15,000 in a year = two 7500 mile synthetic changes, based on TIME though.
Since you are using top-quality oil, there is no reason to change more often. (definately not in the middle of winter) My personal car, I drive like 20,000 miles a year...no way am I doing SEVEN 3000 mile changes! Three 7000 mile changes makes more sense, I still do it by calender, every 4 months. Trust me, every six months is the way to go...up to a set mileage, like 8000 per.

Oh, I should point out that I'm doing mostly short trips now. I only live 3.5 miles from work, which is nice time-wise, but the car barely gets warmed up in that time. I do take the occasional 45-minute drive to the parents' house, but only once every 2 - 3 weeks or so.

Hi Matt_S,

I'd suggest #2 on your list. Since the OLM is programed for conventional oil, using M1 should offer way more protection than you need. I wouldn't be surprised if you could go for two complete OLM intervals with any premium full syn, & still have protection to spare.

As an added bonus, this puts the "burden" of remembering oil changes on your OLM. That would allow you to relax about your engine's protection without spending tons of money on wasted oil & ongoing UOAs.

If you are still going to use full syn., I would vote for no. 3. I would not push dino oil that far driving short trips. BTW do you know the tip to drive at least once a week more than the 3.5 miles to fully warm up the oil and burn off any contaminants. Make a point to drive 30-40 'highway speed' miles.

Well, it seems like there is a definite consensus for 6 months, 5,000 miles. Thanks for your suggestions. I do actually run it longer once or twice a week, but it doesn't get the 45 minute each way commuting runs like it used to. Like I said previously, the temp gauge barely reaches the normal operating range as I'm pulling into work.

I think I'll shoot for the 5,000 miles, or possibly sooner if my Change Engine Oil light comes on. I doubt it'll go more than 6 months, but I have noted the date, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back