GC makes my car start kinda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sluggish? It definately has no problem starting, but doesn't go up to the 1.7-2k range anymore.

I know that starts cause most wear, and my car starts MUCH more quieter now (about 0 timing chain rattles), but it also starts 'slower.'

Additionally, it seems less responsive? Just the motor, like it is harder to accel. Nothing major, just something only the driver would notice.

I was running 10w30 Havoline dino. Car is a VQ35 Altima.

I am assuming this is the GC on the job? I must say that even though it is a little more... sluggish, I love how quiet the motor is.

I dont get the sluggish start, but I do have higher cold oil pressure (almost uncomfortably high - 60 psi) than any other oil has given since I bought the truck new - every other oil it sits nicely at 54 at cold startup...

JMH

Ballpark figures....

Your Havoline was around 10-cSt@100
Your GC is around 12-cSt@100

If it's sluggish-enough to feel it, then you may experience a gas mileage drop-off. If it's quieter -- then it's probably running smoother. That may negate your gas mileage drop-off.

From personal experience with Nissan's VQ's, and other's experience with their VQ's, they tend to like thicker 30 weights and even light 40's. Mine is much smoother and quieter with GC than any other oil, including Mobil 1 5w30. Ekpolk posted his VQ's UOA with GC on here, and it looked almost like a VOA after x000 miles. You can probably do a search for his thread and check it out.

Dave

Triple said >
> Your Havoline was around 10-cSt@100
> Your GC is around 12-cSt@100

I don't see how comparing the viscosity at 100 degrees Celsius has much to do with start-up which I believe was the point of the original post.

Regards,

Rich

quote:

Originally posted by RichD:
I don't see how comparing the viscosity at 100 degrees (farenheit) has much to do with start-up which I believe was the point of the original post.

Regards Rich

When was the last time you were in Tennessee in the middle of summer (or) checked the 3:00 PM temperature of your closed garage where your oil is likely stored?

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Ballpark figures....

Your Havoline was around 10-cSt@100
Your GC is around 12-cSt@100

If it's sluggish-enough to feel it, then you may experience a gas mileage drop-off. If it's quieter -- then it's probably running smoother. That may negate your gas mileage drop-off.

Funny you mention this. A day or two ago I pushed the car a little more than usual and felt much more power (well, more). It was where I used to have a timing chain rattle with my old Hav Dino 10w30; right around 2.2k to 3k.

I suspect I was getting some huge false knock from that rattle. This stuff REALLY smoothed things out.

Just GC up to its usual tricks.
wink.gif
I do recommend you check out my VQ35 UOAs -- this engine just loves the stuff. I too noticed the reduction in harshness compared to 10 cSt oils. To my ear, the engine had an unpleasant, hard-edged raspiness at WOT on thinner oils, whereas this is absent with GC. Now, as good as this stuff is, it's not a magic bullet for all engines -- some really do seem to "prefer" thinner oil. Just as many (all?) Toyota engines seem to thrive on the 30 wt flavors of M1, the VQ really seems to like GC. Hot or cold.

Also, I've noticed the least timing chain rattle when using GC with the K&N HP-1010 (tall) oil filter vs. the same-sized M1 filter. I'm currently running another K&N, but after this OCI, I'm going to try another M1 & GC combo to compare subjective response (TCR, and any other noticeable sound changes), and UOA data. Please do let us know if you UOA your oil.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
When was the last time you were in Tennessee in the middle of summer (or) checked the 3:00 PM temperature of your closed garage where your oil is likely stored?

It's 100 degrees celsius in your garage? I feel for ya.
smile.gif

The viscosity figures you provided are @ 100 degrees celsius.

Interesting. My old Volvo B230F loves running on the GC, especially after the oil gets hot, but a day or two after I put it in, I noticed the motor turning over very sluggishly, as though the battery were dying. I bought a new higher amperage battery, which helped only a little. I then decided it would be time to rebuild the starter before it died completely, but now after this thread, it occurs to me that perhaps it is the GC. I hope it is just the GC, as I really don't feel like pulling the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back