GC - January 12, 2001???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some Castrol 0-30 synthetic, made in Germany, with a date code of "01012xxxx"... (going from memory, but I read it as January 2001). The bottles looked 7 years old... Is this green GC or is it too early to be the prize? If so, is it too old?

If it is, then I need to figure out how to convince these knuckleheads that they need to sell me what they have for less than 8.99 a quart.

If you look at the FAQ-GC postings, one of the last comments (by Doug Hillary) was that there was a silent recall of some kind on the 2000 & 2001 vintages. Also, if they are SJ to avoid them.

I recently saw a single bottle on a shelf with a date code of M93xxxx....1993?!

Last edited:
I guess there are some "issues" that lead me to believe that the current vintage GC formula I can buy all day long at Autozone is fine for my 2.0t. It was fun to find a piece of history nonetheless.

SpeedV - welcome to the club and yes on the current GC.
I use M03 and M04 on a Toyota sludger (without issue), but don't think it improves with age. Unfortunately.

I saw some very old Castrol 0W-30 in Auto Zone. It had an 01 date code but was made in the US and had a red and white label on the front. The bottles were covered in dust.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I saw some very old Castrol 0W-30 in Auto Zone. It had an 01 date code but was made in the US and had a red and white label on the front. The bottles were covered in dust.

The US stuff is a lot thinner. Worth a buck or two on a closeout.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
How is the us Castrol 0W-30? Any good?

Nope, stick with the German.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back