GC in my '03 BMW X5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there's no "problem" with GC in my 2003 BMW X5, but does anyone have any other recommendations? I do get a little nervous about the 30-weight oil in that engine here in North Carolina, but I do realize it's thicker than most 30s.

thanks,

MG

welcome2.gif

It is probably one of the, if not the best oil you could use in your 3.0 I6 or 4.4 v8. UOA's and recommendations by this web-site's foremost UOA Analyst back this up.

Your engine probably specs a 5w-30. The BMW stuff is very good as well based on UOA's. Stick to a 7.5k oil change interval and rest very easy with any BMW LL-01 or ACEA A3 oil.

Thanks for the welcome, Jim. I should have specified my engine is the 3.0, but I guess the recommendation doesn't depend on that, judging from your response.

The manual does call for 5w-30 or 5w-40.

thanks again,

MG

Where can GC 5w-30 be purchased? I know the 0w-30 is sold at AutoZone. Is GC 5w-30 sold there as well?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Where can GC 5w-30 be purchased? I know the 0w-30 is sold at AutoZone. Is GC 5w-30 sold there as well?

0w30 is the GC. 5w30 is just syntech. Still a good oil, but its not GC.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
welcome2.gif

It is probably one of the, if not the best oil you could use in your 3.0 I6 or 4.4 v8. UOA's and recommendations by this web-site's foremost UOA Analyst back this up.

Your engine probably specs a 5w-30. The BMW stuff is very good as well based on UOA's. Stick to a 7.5k oil change interval and rest very easy with any BMW LL-01 or ACEA A3 oil.

You have the same inline 6 as I do. I have it on paid/expert advice based upon professional analysis of my UOA's that this oil is ideal for my engine. It did a bit better than the BMW 5w-30. It is hard to find a better built oil, and it is great to know that it is an excellent match for this engine. This is based on data.

If it were me and I could get it, this is the oil I would choose for this engine above anything else. That being said, the BMW stuff will do very well, and so will M1 0w-40. I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

Thanks All. GC it is. I'll head out to AZ at lunch today to get the sale price!

I know it's the wrong forum, but I'll stick with the Redline Differential oil that I've been using and had no problems with, and probably the M1 ATF.

thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back