GC in Honda K20A

Status
Not open for further replies.

DYE

I just recently switched over to GC in my Acura RSX Type S, which calls for a 5w30. Before switching to GC, I ran Motul 300V 5w30. I've had the GC in for about 3000 miles and I've had to top up twice already. It consumes about 1/2 quart every 1500 miles. Compression and leakdown tests were well within specs.

Would this be considered normal for the first run of GC? Or is the 0w30 just too thin for my engine's liking?

There is probably someone on the site that can explain why this might be happening. I have GC in a twin turbo and in two vehicles of different makes with over 100K each...no consumption issues. Wish I had an answer for you, but I am stumped.

Could be that your engine needs some time to "adjust" to a completely different oil chemistry.
Keep using GC for another 3000 miles.

I'll keep using it and hopefully it can "adjust". It just drives me crazy considering how hard this stuff is to come by. LOL.

Dye, I would doubt that GC is too thin of a 30 weight. Don't pay attention to the 0 part, it is still pretty darn thick when cold. It is nearly thick enough to cross the line into 40 weight territory at operating temps. Don't think that is what is going on....although I don't think that giving it time will change anything. Any chance your measuring regimen has varibles in it? Such as different parking spot? Different amount of time after engine shutdown to take a measurement? Or, if this relatively thick 30 weight takes longer to drain down into the pan, and you are checking it just after running it, it could be reading lower than a thinner/faster draining oil. Then, upon adding some, you could be overfilling, and it is burned off due to crankcase ventilation, etc. So, you keep adding, and keep burning off. See what I mean?

Only way I know to guarantee a consistant measurement is when I park the car overnight in the same place all the time, and get the reading before starting it. Try that and see what happens.

I use my RSX-S purely for auto-cross races and weekend fun. I have no consumption issues when I drive like normal folks. On a weekend with lots of wide open throttle for up to an hour at a time, I will easily consume a quart of group IV synthetic. I have had no issues. I have no engine modifications and my car is a 2006.

tamu, I've HEARD that the variable intake cam system Honda uses results in oil consumption when the VTEC is being activated. I don't know that to be a fact. IF it is true, maybe the consumption is serving a needed upper-end lubrication function. It would sure explain your loss at WOT while it doesn't lose any at normal conditions. Just a possibility. Heck, you probably know much more about it than I do!

The 300V 5w-30 is listed as 11.0 cst at 100C.
GC is thicker, 12.0 cst.

How long do you wait after shutting the car off to check the oil?

Yes it could be the composition's interaction with your engine, especially its seals. We all like to think that oil consumption should follow simple rules but it doesn't indicating that a lot of factors go into it. I have seen some weird things happen with different oils and amount of consumption (like major consumption with Redline oil). My point is that you should continue the GC and see if things improve, but if they don't, change oils/move on and just accept that you cannot explain it. Use what works well in all regards, like Motul 5W-30 did.

There's very little inconsistency in my measurement. It sits in the garage, overnight and I check in the morning. I'm used to the car consuming a good bit of it's oil, which is from my understanding due to the high compression and the variable cams (which operate via oil pressure)

Some of the other RSX owners I've asked report the same consumption rates and some even more (1/2 quart every 1000 miles) but Acura insists this is 'normal' and won't even look at it until it consumes at LEAST 1 quart in 1000 miles.

So, it might be normal, it's just a bit strange to me that this thicker oil consumes at a faster rate than the Motul did. Could it be the composition or additve package which might be more prone to be consumed? Some of the other RSX owners claim after switching to Amsoil Series 2000 Ow30, consumption decreased dramatically.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I do not have any reasons behind the oonsumption, just observations. Oil pressure causes the VTEC to engauge, but I don't know if that's what causes the consumption. You also have to understand that I'm at around 2000 miles and I need new brake pads. This is not just speeding down an on ramp that I do. Were're talking hardcore racing. I can't wait to get my new rubber on this thing.

GC=low consumption in my apps. PS I'm getting an RSX w/ base engine next week. I assume it specs 20 weight, if so I'm going with M1 0w-30. I'm using my GC stash in the wife's 98 CR-v @6 month intervals. It's not an HP engine, but it works hard pulling that box around.

m'man,

As always, you strike close to the truth.
cheers.gif

To DYE,

Yep, just about. You have to remember that it's 210 horse power from a 2.0L I4 and a 8300 rpm redline. I'm considering running something thicker than 10w30. Maybe that would help.

I burned a full quart of RP. The M1EP I have in now only did about half a quart last time.

I would say I have ~0 consumption in my RSX Type-S. My OCIs are between 6K and 7.5K

Lot of WOT on roads, no Auto-X experience yet.

I bought the car used and for the first OCI, ran Auto-RX with Castrol GTX 5W-30 (same for rinse also). That might have helped becuase I remember having to top up just before and during my Auto-RX cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back