GC in high revv'n engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Mobil 1 0w-40 in my 1998 BMW Z3 1.9L (toy) for quite some time. As many of you know from my "Found GC/Angry Girl Friend" post I recently located a supply of GC. Is GC appropriate for this high revving and hot running engine? Would I be better off stay w/ Mobil 1?

~Sail

cheers.gif

Yep, good choice. My buddy uses it in his car that actually revs high. An S2000. I don't consider 6000 rpms all that much, and 138 horsepower is not exactly pushing the envelope. GC is a good application regardless.

It seems to me the Honda S2000 is on the extreme end of high revving engines with a 7800 rpm reline. My Z3 redlines at 6250, but cruising speeds are routinely over 4000 rpms. I can't think of many cars that CRUISE in that range. Our Accord and TL both seem to dial in around 3300 on the highway, my truck (apples to oranges here) settles in under 2000.

My sister has a S2000, I like it alot. She was really lugging it pretty bad when she first bought it until she got used to revving up a bit.

~Sail
cheers.gif
SKIING ON SATURDAY!
cheers.gif

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read on here that GC doesn't contain VI's (viscosity improvers). It supposedly has the multi-viscosity naturally. I've been under the impression that the more VI's in an oil (typically the higher the "spread" in numbers), the less shear stable it is. So if the above assumptions are correct, then GC would be extremely shear resistant, and thus an excellent oil for higher rpm's (where shear occurs).
I am currently 600 miles in to my first OCI with GC in my '97 Maxima. Will get a UOA at 3000, and go from there. But so far, I am liking this oil for its "smoothness" at idle, and quieting down my engine (as compared to Mobil 1 5w30). And living in Louisiana with 100+*F weather typical in summer, I'll have no concern about GC's ability to handle the heat.
What do you consider "cruising" speed? For comparisons, my '97 Maxima is at 2400 rpm at 70 mph on flat interstate.

I would like some of the experts to chime in on my assumptions in the first paragraph. Information is power.

Dave

While I haven't used GC in my application, I have used M1EP, royal purple, and redline in my engine. My RSX Type-S does 4000 on the freeway too. An auto cross buddy of mine has a 2002 Type-S that's used regular castrol syntec on the factory recommended 10K intervals. After almost 90,000 miles and countless engine modifications, he runs great. Now just imagine how group IV GC will do in comparison. US syntec is a decent oil, but the German flavor is far superior IMO.

you car guys don't even know what high rpm is.

gold GC (m0507) held up in my motor spining 13,000 rpm. the uoa is in the motorcycle section.

Dave, your assumptions are correct; at least our assumptions are what the oil study finding was (no VI improvers in Green GC). And high rpms will tear the snot out of oil (shear) compared to low rpms.

quote:

Originally posted by oakfloor:
I just changed over to GC OW-30 in my honda S-2000, and Im glad to read here that it wont shear at high RPM. BTW the YM 00'to 03' have 9000 rpm redline. at how many miles should I do a UOA?

I say 5k is a start, sample it and see "wear" you stand.

Pun intended of course
grin.gif

I just changed over to GC OW-30 in my honda S-2000, and Im glad to read here that it wont shear at high RPM. BTW the YM 00'to 03' have 9000 rpm redline. at how many miles should I do a UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back