GC in a Honda 4cyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I just put GC ow30 in my 1996 Civic 1.6L and notice no difference between this and the M1 5w30. Maybe just the newer 1.7L's as they are spec'd for 5w20.

That and my engine is only 7 months old.
grin.gif
Once I put over 100k or so, I might need to jump to a 30wt. I can't stress enough that for a new 2.4L Honda Engine stay away from any thick 30wt oils. I'm still shocked at how much drag their was on the engine with GC. I went from factory fill 5w-20, to M1 EP (thin 30wt) to GC. I won't use anything but a 5w-20 in this car until it requires something different.

I agree with you Buster, yesterday when driving a longer drive I may have noticed a slight bit of drag from it, but not enough to not want to fill my civic with green(runs a tad quieter too compared to the M1). I only have 60,000 miles on it and use it for commuting, so I want the extended OCI's (probably go 16k kms on it).

I really like Hondas, easy to work on, changed the fuel filter the other day too as it is right in the engine compartment.

Buster,

If you got a 4 Cyl Honda why not just use 5w20 ??

GC caused a 3 MPG drop in my wifes Civic, switched back to 5w30 dino and gas MPG went back up.

With GC her car felt like if all 4 tires were low on air.
confused.gif

With my Vette, there is no drop in MPG with GC.

I am using it in my CIVIC 04 VP. It is smooth but, I couldn't figure it out about the MPG because of delivering. No problem at all, I would like to check the MPG but the situation wouldn't allow me to do so.

As someone pointed out the same engines in Japan and Europe use 30Weight. I switched to GC in my 2005 CRV (and soon in Accord). Both cars are four cyl - same engine.

I am very happy with GC. Engine works well, no slugishness, no affected MPG.

I am not putting 5-20 in my car. Sorry. Anything that is recommended by Honda (AND Ford) when it comes to 5-20 is CAFE related. Same VTEC engines in Europe are getting even 40 weight so....

Changed the oil viscosity in my 2003 Honda 2.0 litre, from 5w/40 synth to 0w/30 synth. Compared mpg on same long run (60i0+miles to south coast of england and back to NW England) using same set of M-ways, possibly being a little more careful this time. That is, not doing 120mph for brief periods on M20! So, sticking to no more than 80. Result: 35 mpg each time. BTW, the 0w/30 is by Fuchs, to VW 506.01, API SL, and is probably similar to GC in essentials.

Everyone who is trying to come to conclusions about their gas mileage based on one tank of gas (or worse yet, based on the fuel gauge on a partial tank of gas) have no idea how to properly measure your mileage.

You can't draw any conclusions like this, there are way too many variables in play. GC 0W30 can't cause a +10% decrease in economy in and of itself.

I measure my fuel usage for every tank of gas, it can easily vary by 5% tank-to-tank driving the same route/commute every day (100 mile commute) in the same vehicle, same gas station, etc. I have an Excel file of the last 30,000 miles of every tank of gas, type of gas, station, mileage, etc. to prove it.

I would say that you couldn't even begin to draw any conclusions without comparing ~5,000 miles on an oil interval while limiting all potential variables possible. Even then, the entire difference doesn't necessarily relate just to the different oils (gas formulations change, driving conditions change, atmospheric conditions change, etc.).

Regards,

Rich

6.8k rpm. Maximum output at 6.5k rpm. Any special reason for interest? Its not the Type R - just the Type S.

LT4Vette said >
> You don't need to drive 5000 miles to realize
> that GC hurts gas mileage in some cars.

OK.

When I first put GC in my 318is (1.8 liter four cylinder), I immediately saw an increase in my economy, I could clearly tell my fuel level needle was going done more slowly than previously.

Nothing like my old Hemi Cuda, I could step on the gas on that thing and watch the needle drop.

Regards,

Rich

VTEC sings in my K20A2 with GC. I initially nooticed a drop in MPG for the first cycle but that is slowly coming back up with the second cycle.

It is so smooth, the KABHAAAM is gone at 5800 RPM. It is just smooth as silk.

I am still yet to warm up to using GC in my 1.8T though.

Nortones2- Your car is Euro version of Acura TSX. US Accord is bigger (but not necessarily better) then Euro Accord (which again is sold in the US as Acura TSX). It appears your engine is "normal reving" as oppose to 8,000 limiter. My accord has the same red-line as yours. I was just comparing.

Thx
Dino

I put Castrol gold 0w30 (made in germany) in my car - 2.2Liter 140hp Ecotec (Pontiac Sunfire 2004) and my car seems much quieter when driving on the freeway. I've had a huge spike upward in mpg as well. (Mainly because I pumped up my tires from a low psi I think (30psi to 35psi).

I'd have to say that this is probably the best oil for a 4 cyl vehicle, no?

Accord2005NJ: was tempted by the higher revving version - and the 198hp. I'd have to try to extend it, and there isn't much doubt that I'd be caught one day! Years ban mandatory over 100 - and the insurers wouldn't be too impressed.

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
I'd have to say that this is probably the best oil for a 4 cyl vehicle, no?

IMHO, no. I think some 4-cylinder engines don't like such a thick 30-weight and they may perform better on a thinner 30-weight like M1, or even a 5w-20. My $0.02 from a fellow GC user.

AndyH - You are probably right. Most of the Honda owners that I know of (1.7l 1.8l etc...) said that their cars seemed sluggish when using GC.

Maybe my experience is different because I have a 2.2l 140 hp ecotec? My manual actually says to use 10w30 in temperatures above 0 F. I know several Ecotec users who really like how GC performed on their car (along with myself
tongue.gif
).

I guess the newer engines (Ford focus, Honda etc...) were designed with a 20wt in mind and thats why the new small engines don't work as well with the heavy GC 0w30.

My 2001 Honda CR-V 2.0L 4Cyl with 95K miles just loves GC, no drop in milage, not at all sluggish, just smooth and a noticable quiet engine. I switched to GG from 5W30 GTX about 5 months ago and now running on the 2nd fill of GC.

"I guess the newer engines (Ford focus, Honda etc...) were designed with a 20wt in mind and thats why the new small engines don't work as well with the heavy GC 0w30."

Its a local quirk to specify 0w/20, as the same Honda engines are used in the EU as the USA, designed by the same people, in markets virtually the same in total sales, with the "compact" segment probably larger in Europe where we don't use such large vehicles as in the USA. The Honda manual specifies a range from 0w/20 to xw/50. Suppliers of oil to users of the sporty end, tend in the UK to suggest xw/40, possibly because of a wider margin of safety for the engine. If pushed for long periods of WOT, I'd guess the life of the K20A and derivatives might be compromised by lighter viscosities.

I've thought of trying the Gold again, to see if it was the gas or some other variable that was impacting the engine. Car runs MUCh better on M1 0w-20 then GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back