GC in a Honda 4cyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been throwing around the idea of trying GC in the Accord. Nothing wrong with the M1 EP I'm using now, but being the oil addict that I am, I thought of trying this. I have about 12 qts of RL 5w-20 also that I'm thinking of using as well. My concern is making the engine sluggish. Runs great with the 10w-30 thats in it now.

what year accord do you have? engine (f22, k24?) Ive talked to a couple people running GC in their hondas with absolutely no probs. I'm about to switch over to GC in my 04 Si (k20a3).

2005 with the 2.4L which I believe is the K24. GC is on the thick end but some even run 40wt oils in NZ/AUST and Japan in this same engine. I don't want a 40wt. In fact, I prefer what I'm running now, which is a thin 30wt, however, I hear so many postive things about GC making even small engines very smooth/quiet. I doubt my engine can get any more quiet/smooth but I'd like to try the stuff.
smile.gif

I have a 2002 Civic Si K20A3, and before this run of GC, I was running RL 5w20...and let me tell you, the engine still runs very smooth, but it definitely feels a bit sluggish.....

I might try to mix Mobil 1 5w20 with GC when the next oil change comes around....

quote:

Originally posted by Leonardo629:
I have a 2002 Civic Si K20A3, and before this run of GC, I was running RL 5w20...and let me tell you, the engine still runs very smooth, but it definitely feels a bit sluggish.....

I might try to mix Mobil 1 5w20 with GC when the next oil change comes around....

Just curious how these things work: does it make sense that a quality oil...heck any oil, can make a car sluggish?

quote:

Just curious how these things work: does it make sense that a quality oil...heck any oil, can make a car sluggish?

I've never tried the newer M1 5w20, but I used the old M1 0w20 for a little while. Assuming there's no difference, M1 5w20 would offer the best fuel economy and excellent protection if you don't do too much spirited driving....

GC is something really different, it's heavier than M1 5w20 (8cst vs. 12cst at 100c), yet the engine runs mightily smooth.

I've used Motul 8100 5w30, and GC has that similar feeling to it....

I can't tell you what to use here, but defnitely give GC a shot....then decide....

I already asked my friend to try GC in his Celica GT-S.....and he seems to like it...despite the fact that GC is almost a 40wt.

quote:

by sluggish I meant the engine revs just a tad slower, which is normal since I used to use 5w20....

What Leonardo629 REALLY means is it provides a wonderfully thick cushion of friction-fighting fervor and wear-whacking willingess.

I put GC in my Honda element. I had run only 5W-20 Penz in it before. The car did not lose any gas mileage - maybe partly because I drive the car hard and never got great mileage. Engine really does seem to run smoother - especially at high RPM.

quote:

Originally posted by armasteel:
I put GC in my Honda element. I had run only 5W-20 Penz in it before. The car did not lose any gas mileage - maybe partly because I drive the car hard and never got great mileage. Engine really does seem to run smoother - especially at high RPM.

welcome.gif
to the family of the Elves!

This topic has my curiosity piqued. It's great if y'all can find GC; I have yet to do so, the nearest AZ is about 75 miles away and there's no guarantee they stock it. I would certainly like to try some of this Elvoline in my Civic D15B7 engine.

Who knows, maybe it's not available way out here in Washington State 'cause it gets all bought up before it can reach here! GRRRR...

amen...

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

by sluggish I meant the engine revs just a tad slower, which is normal since I used to use 5w20....

What Leonardo629 REALLY means is it provides a wonderfully thick cushion of friction-fighting fervor and wear-whacking willingess.

quote:

Originally posted by Crashbox:
This topic has my curiosity piqued. It's great if y'all can find GC; I have yet to do so, the nearest AZ is about 75 miles away and there's no guarantee they stock it. I would certainly like to try some of this Elvoline in my Civic D15B7 engine.

Who knows, maybe it's not available way out here in Washington State 'cause it gets all bought up before it can reach here! GRRRR...

UPDATE: I went for a nice long drive this morning to Marysville, about 75 miles south of where I live. Went to the AutoZone there and checked out the various lubricant products. I do believe I found some Castrol Von Syntec! The bottle says SAE 0W-30 in RED and on the back it says "Made in Germany/Imported By:/Castrol North America..." blah-blah-blah.

So, yes, *perhaps* this is the real McCoy and I can get it way out here. Is it worth it? The saga continues...

Green is in. Almost mixed it with 1 qt of Gold. I thought the 5 quarts I had were all Green..I was wrong. I put the 4 quarts in, ran to AutoZone where they only had Gold, but I lucked out and found 1 qt left of Green. Car runs extremely smooth. As smooth or smoother then the M1 EP. Definitely a special oil.

Congratulations, buster. It has been a L_O_N_G path for you to get to The Green Side. Enjoy it!
cheers.gif

I actually think I lost a few HP though. Engine is quiet, but a bit more sluggish. I was afraid of that but if the wear numbers are good I can deal with it. I'll know my MPG in about 3-4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back