GC in a 2.5L Mazda 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my engine is spec'd for 5w20... but with my newest intake addition, I figured a thicker oil may benefit (in case of poorer filtration). I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to this type of stuff, so any input you have would be appreciated.

My driving style consists 70% highway, 30% city. I do have a lot of mountainous back roads that I enjoy driving on as well.

I'm not anti 5w20 by any means... I'm just thinking that the thicker oil may benefit my driving style & modifications. You tell me.

when all this 5/20 talk started 3-4 years ago all the car mfg were concerned about engine wear and warranty problems. A lot of the concerns were addressed with improved AW additives BUT that is/was before API SM came along and lowered ZDDP the mainstay AW additive. Yes Mo, GMO and other phosphite additives now carry the load there in no reason to increase wear with a 20wt unless you drive in Siberia. The only reason 5/20 came out was for CAFE fuel mileage improvements. I would not use a 5/20 anything stick with 5/30 or 10/30.
bruce

2.3L not 2.5
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:
when all this 5/20 talk started 3-4 years ago all the car mfg were concerned about engine wear and warranty problems. A lot of the concerns were addressed with improved AW additives BUT that is/was before API SM came along and lowered ZDDP the mainstay AW additive. Yes Mo, GMO and other phosphite additives now carry the load there in no reason to increase wear with a 20wt unless you drive in Siberia. The only reason 5/20 came out was for CAFE fuel mileage improvements. I would not use a 5/20 anything stick with 5/30 or 10/30.
bruce

offtopic.gif

My question did not pertain to your opinion on 5w20 oils. My question was pertaining to GC in my application, thanks anyways though.
banghead.gif

Hopefully someone else has some real input to my original question.

Well, I took the plunge and picked up a case of the M0502 golden set. I used the M04 stuff in my previous Nissan Frontier V6 with nothing but happiness! Hopefully the new golden batch will respond well in my new little '05 Mazda3 2.3L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back