GC Green 0W-30, 4,916 miles, 05 Tacoma V6 1GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
GC Green and K&N oil filter. Run for 6 months. Used LC20 and FP60.

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Toyota
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 4.0L V-6 1GR-FE
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline
OIL USE INTERVAL: 4,916 Miles
MILES ON ENGINE: 21,773
OIL TYPE & GRADE: German Castrol Green 0W-30
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts
SAMPLE DATE: 01/06/07

GC Green 0W-30/GC Gold 0W-30/Amsoil ASL 5W-30

Aluminum: 1/2/3
Chromium: 0/0/0
Iron: 10/7/4
Copper: 2/3/4
Lead: 1/2/1
Tin: 0/0/1
Molybdenum: 2/9/66
Nickel: 0/0/0
Manganese: 1/1/5
Silver: 0/0/0
Titanium: 0/0/0
Potassium: 0/0/0
Boron: 0/10/122
Silicon: 14/14/17
Sodium: 9/9/3
Calcium: 2447/1851/2877
Magnesium: 154/346/11
Phosphorus: 742/731/586
Zinc: 880/850/668
Barium: 0/0/0

TBN: 3.9/3.4/2.7

Viscosity: 65.0/61.9/59.8
Flashpoint: 390/395/400°F
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0.0/0.0/0.0
Water: 0.0/0.0/0.0
Insolubles: 0.2/0.3/0.3

Blackstone Comments: Wear metals still looked good in the third sample from your Toyota V-6. Everything read close to universal averages (which are based on a 4500-mile oil run)for this type engine. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use and blow-by) were low at 0.2%, showing good oil filtration and complete combustion. Silicon was okay at 14 ppm showing adequate air filtration. No gas, water or anti-freeze was present in the oil and the viscosity was good. The TBN was 3.9, still active additive left. 1.0 is too low. Nice Toyota! Try 6000 miles for next oil change.

My Comments: All the wear metals dropped except for iron. I was hoping the silicon would continue to trend downward. Oh well. It's still reading at the same level as the universal average for this engine. Plenty of life left. I'll be ready to start extending my intervals around this time next year (warranty). I was happier with the results from the K&N oil filter. Lower insolubles than the Amsoil EaO I used last OCI.

Current fill is GC Green, oversized K&N oil filter. I am using FP3000. No LC this time.

The 1GR FE will always shed more iron than the Belt driven valvetrains such as the V8. It's gotta a lot of timing chain, so that mechanical fact has to be taken into account when reading a UOA from the GR series engines.
Boone,
I would be hoping to see more of a drop in Silicon at this point too. Keep a close eye on the air filtration and intake connections, pcv Gromet etc.. just in case there is a point of ingress. Rhode Island? Do they salt and sand the Roads? Also what dosage did you use for the LC? I have been using 10 ox on orifinal fill and 2-3 oz per 1k in these engines. I will do a UOA on my 10k mile OCI's to compare.

Quote:

Boone,
I would be hoping to see more of a drop in Silicon at this point too. Keep a close eye on the air filtration and intake connections, pcv Gromet etc.. just in case there is a point of ingress. Rhode Island? Do they salt and sand the Roads? Also what dosage did you use for the LC? I have been using 10 ox on orifinal fill and 2-3 oz per 1k in these engines. I will do a UOA on my 10k mile OCI's to compare.

I will double check the intake connections again.

They do sand and salt the roads in the winter. Mostly sand. The sides of the road can double as beach front property come spring time. Although we haven't had any snow yet this year. So that isn't really a factor in this UOA. This oil ran from the first week in July to the first week in January. There is a ton of salt in the air anyway being so close to the ocean. I did a little off roading on the beach trail over the summer too.

I started with 11 oz. of LC (2 oz. per quart, 5.5 quarts) and 1 oz every 1k miles.

Yeah The ASL seemed to net better results but the single runs are hard to read. Let's see what the GC green looks like after two consecutive runs.
The Coastal area explains the Sodium

The silicone is mainly from seal/gasket leaching and it took about 40,000 miles for the levels of my '95 Tacoma to stabilize.

The Amsoil formulation was an early version of their API/SM formulation, which about 10% thinner than the GC at operating temp, which could explain the perceived noise difference.

This looks good! I was thinking of putting this in my 4 Runner. I dont like how the M1 sounds. What is the difference between GC "Green" and "Gold"?

Quote:

This looks good! I was thinking of putting this in my 4 Runner. I dont like how the M1 sounds. What is the difference between GC "Green" and "Gold"?

Color.
laugh.gif

There's a whole FAQ on it. http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=0#Post711450

Green has pretty much all been snatched up. I still have 12 quarts not including the current fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back