Phos. 869 855

Moly 116 3

Boron 32 0

Mang 49 2

Visc. 12.51 11.62

(D445)

TBN 5.75 Not

(D2896) Ordered

I had this UOA done because my warranty is expiring and wanted to ensure there were no problems.

Previous OCI and UOA was at the end of an ARX clean cycle/phase. Am I on the right track in thinking wear metals were elevated a little on the previous UOA because of scavenging caused by the ARX?

TBN was not ordered based on Patman's GC successful run on his mother's VW golf over 2 years.

I am pleased with the improvement given that GC's VOA shows, among other things,

Fe 3
Al 1
Si 4

Subract these numbers from my current uoa, then double the number remaining to true it up to previous OCI ( of 6k miles) and wear metals are looking better, except for lead.

This OCI I tried to take Patman's and AEHaas' advice and ensure the car is warmed up for 20 minutes before putting it through its paces. This car sees redline many, many times per day (but now, for the most part, only after it has warmed up fully....sometimes I just can't help it though).

I'm going to push this oil another 3k miles.

Anybody have any thoughts here?

The car seems to like the GC green. Got 40 more litres of the magic green left.

GC in a modern 3-series BMW engine = a happy marriage. It does meet BMW LL-98 spec after all. Maybe LL-01 too but I forget if the Green meets that...GC Gold does for sure. Unless your engine develops a problem, you can go well past 6000 miles on this long drain oil.

Looks real good, especially since you like to exercise your right foot so much!
grin.gif

You should have no problem going 6k or longer with this oil. I've done 9k in mine with excellent results. And I like to go full throttle as much as possible too (I still wait for the oil to get up to temperature though, as I still believe that's very critical)

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:
Good both, but at equal OCI GC would give equal numbers.

Respectfully, that's pretty speculative. First, remember that the rates of accumulation are not necessarily linear. Second even if they were, the Iron and Al would still be less (as Jim indicated, esp in light of VOA numbers). Finally, we don't have much, if any, of a track record on the BMW synth, so we really don't know if that's a typical, stable result or not (of course, that could "cut both ways"). All that said, I don't think you're far off, there does seem to be some proportionality in the two sets of numbers.
cheers.gif

Well,

If I can handle going as far as 6k miles without changing the oil, we'll find out!

Please stand by......(this might take a while, I don't drive this car that much).

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
Well,

If I can handle going as far as 6k miles without changing the oil, we'll find out!

Please stand by......(this might take a while, I don't drive this car that much).

Well get out there and drive, it's the right time of year to put on some fun miles!
smile.gif

Primus,

Deduct the VOA amounts listed above, and I would generally agree with you.

However Fe and Alum. appear to be down dramatically on a per mile basis.

Terry Dyson reviewed and looked favorably on this UOA. He's me given some good strategies for improvement as well.

I recommend his services.

Thanks Jim5, good to see another BMW 330Ci UOA.

I will have another UOA of BMW 5w-30 from my 2003 330Ci in about a week. It has just under 6000 miles on it. I just finished changing to 03/04 dated Green GC for another 6000 miles or so.

Did you get a fuel % in your UOA?

Shanneba,

It didn't read as a %, but instead looked like:

Fuel Dilution: No

I'm looking forward to seeing your GC analysis. I have reason to believe GC is a very good choice for 3.0L BMW engine.

Jim5,

Did you ever get your oil temp gauge installed?
If you did, what does your oil temp run with the GC? Mine usually runs around 105-110 degrees above the outside air temp when running on the highway at 65-75 mph. My last trip back from Indiana, when it was 100 outside in Texas (from the cars computer) the oil temp only ran 190-193.

I figure the GC/BMW 5w-30 runs about 14.5 cst in my car.

I never did get that installed. I have my eye on a 545i, so I'm not going very far in the way of upgrades in this one.

How long does it take to get the oil temp up to 190 Shanneba?

Any pictures of your oil temp gauge install?

Jim 5,

If I leave home and get on the interstate, less than a mile away, it takes 20-25 miles at 65-75mph to get fully warmed up. In stop and go driving around town it takes about 10 miles to completely warm up.

More interesting to me is that my oil will stay above the air temp in my garage for 12+ hours unless I open the hood.

I don't have any pictures of my gauges yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back