GC - Good replacement for M1 0W-40 in Nissan GT-R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah okay, sorry. I misread your post.

Any link to info on the new transmission? I won't say my search was thorough but I didn't see any mention of it on the IRL's site.

Originally Posted By: cmd51231
2 wheels at 480HP, even with slicks, would have a hard time launching a 3800+ lb car from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Gonna need AWD for that.
cool.gif

Gotta disagree with you there. Have a couple of friends with 525RWHP (650-ish flywheel) and 534RWHP respectively who's cars hook solid on a set of 10.5" slicks quite readily.

These cars are about 3,300lbs; about 3450 with driver.

Its a different environment on the drag strip on a tire. These cars will readily obliterate drag radials at 120Km/h with a downshift and touch of the "go" pedal.

OK, you just kind of agreed with me, heh.

You said:

1) 500+ rWHP (over +100 wHP)
2) 3300 w/out driver (minus more than 500 lbs)
3) 0-60 ???... I suspect would do it under 4 secs with slicks.

I said:

1) 480 crank HP ( 2) 3800+ w/out driver
3) 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... street tires.

... which I claim is the impossible part if it was only 2-wheel drive. The GT-R is a hog when it comes to weight to power ratio. Without that AWD technology, no way in [censored] it would do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. It's just simple physics.

So, what were you disagreeing with me on again? :p

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
2 wheels at 480HP, even with slicks, would have a hard time launching a 3800+ lb car from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Gonna need AWD for that.
cool.gif

Gotta disagree with you there. Have a couple of friends with 525RWHP (650-ish flywheel) and 534RWHP respectively who's cars hook solid on a set of 10.5" slicks quite readily.

Its a different environment on the drag strip on a tire. These cars will readily obliterate drag radials at 120Km/h with a downshift and touch of the "go" pedal.

Last edited:

You said:

I said:

... which I claim is the impossible part if it was only 2-wheel drive. The GT-R is a hog when it comes to weight to power ratio. Without that AWD technology, no way in [censored] it would do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. It's just simple physics.

cool.gif

I thought you were saying it was impossible on a tire (drag radial, slick....etc) with 2wd
grin2.gif

The cars in question are capable of ~10.5 second 1/4 mile runs, so I'm guessing their 0-60 (on the race tires obviously) is quite a bit less than 3.5 seconds. The one has gone 10.3.

You said:

I said:

Quite a bit, it seems like. It possible to hook 2000-8000 hp cars with just two tires. AWD is good for hooking with street tires, but beyond that the quickest cars in the world are RWD.

You said:

I said:

cool.gif

I thought you were saying it was impossible on a tire (drag radial, slick....etc) with 2wd
grin2.gif

The cars in question are capable of ~10.5 second 1/4 mile runs, so I'm guessing their 0-60 (on the race tires obviously) is quite a bit less than 3.5 seconds. The one has gone 10.3.

Yep, there are guys already doing low 10's I believe with custom tunes, exhaust, actuators, etc on stock tires & wheels. The technology is pretty incredible stuff... I wasn't sold on it at first as this is my first AWD car (and I come from a lineage of strictly German RWD sportscars). But, I slowly became more and more able to wrap my head around the differences, and now I just push the [censored] thing through the turns. While there is still some throttle control, my foot is NEVER off the gas pedal and for the most part, smashed down. The car simply grips like there is no tomorrow through the turns.

Strangely enough, I actually feel less confident now if I don't give enough gas to the car through tight turns as the computer system stops doing all the magical power remapping individually to the 4 wheels. In fact, a couple of times, I actually felt her starting to slip some when I started to let off the gas. Again, totally different way of driving coming from a RWD heritage...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

You said:

I said:

Quite a bit, it seems like. It possible to hook 2000-8000 hp cars with just two tires. AWD is good for hooking with street tires, but beyond that the quickest cars in the world are RWD.

I can personally admit I'm not that big into the drag racing scene... I'm more into circuit racing. I do know that some of the Skyline tuners who have the GT-R's predecessors (R32-R34's), after MAJOR modifications, putting out over 1000 HP, are doing quarter mile drags in the 7 seconds range.

Here's an interesting clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSTNc1Vo5Qc&feature=related

Last edited:
Yeah, you can't beat good old American muscle for straight line. The Cougar is also pretty famous for high power if I'm not confusing things... same engine as that old school Eclipse where people were getting over 1000 HP right?

Which brings me back to why I'm not into drag... love the circuit racing and twisties. Always have... even with the BMW's I owned... and always will. :)

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
RWD door slammer Mustang, and probably a good 500+ lbs heavier than the 7 second Skyline too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KMxv-lu_Wk

6 second 4.6L Cougar, RWD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7h5kpfpstc

That car goes 6.30s @ 220+ nowadays.

Last edited:
While I agree with most of what you said d00d, the fact remains that the transmission oil that Nissan chose... also ridiculously priced at $90 per liter... is inadequate for the extremely precise DCT in the GT-R. If you visit any of the GT-R forums where actual owners visit, you will see many complaints about how bad the transmission sounds with just a few thousand miles.

In fact, several people have done transmission oil changes at just a few thousand miles and see lots of metal shavings in the oil! Some people that have tracked with the factory fill even had their cars throw a transmission overheating error and shut down...

The problem is Nissan made no attempts to release who makes the oil so that they can be the middle "markup" man. All we're left with as owners is to look on our own for alternatives.

There is a company in AU called Willall that has even gone off the ranch to produce their own oil... and with much positive feedback/reviews from users (quieter, smoother, no more overheating). While this is more appealing than the factory fill, it's still too new to confirm its long term effectiveness.

Break-in wear is why some people do their 1st tranny/diff oil change at 1.5k

Has anyone done a VOA on the Nissan tranny fluid?
Maybe talk to RLI about a custom blend?

GC > M1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Some are using Castrol 10w-60 in the GTR's when tracking them.

just looked that oil up..I would like to see results of test that produced this claim:
"Independently tested to deliver maximum horsepower up to 45% longer – even against other synthetics"

this is what Castrol says about it..

Edge Sport 10W-60
"New Formulation"
________________________________________________________________________________

Applications

Maximum horsepower up to 45% longer than leading competitors

Race proven for highly stressed and competition engines

Castrol's best Sports Performance Oil. Fully Synthetic with di-ester booster

________________________________________________________________________________

Features / Benefits

· Delivers race proven power and performance
· Stays in grade
· Proven to maintain turbo boost pressure
· Independently tested to deliver maximum horsepower up to 45% longer – even against other synthetics
· The best protection for older modified vehicles
· Provides protection when running fast, hot or hard
· Provides confidence that your engine won't let you down when you need it most

Specifications / Performance

API SM/CF
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

A fellow GT-R owner in Texas was nice enough to post his Blackstone analysis of both the engine and transmission oil at 6007 miles.

From what I understand, he's a spirited driver with a few minor track visits (specifically mentioned he did NOT track the car heavily).

Both oils are recommended factory fills... M1 0W-40 engine oil and Nissan GT-R specific DCT transmission oil GR6.

**NOTE**: This was pulled from nagtroc, so all credit goes to the original poster and actual owner, wefordus.

enga.jpg

transy.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, looks like it. There is still a question of whether or not "metal particulates" in the tranny oil that wefordus even witnessed are of actual concern. Two reasons for this... 1, this is the main marketing push from a tuner shop that is aggressively promoting his aftermarket tranny oil... and 2, would this still be a concern up to the first recommended transmission oil change, which is 18,000 miles for the car?

I mean, literally, the oil looks spotless, but there were metal particulates in it.

I, personally, am probably going to get it flushed out well before then. But, the question still remains as the 18k miles is Nissan recommended...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
So they did do their homework on fluids. Who'd have thought.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back