GC - Good replacement for M1 0W-40 in Nissan GT-R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a religious GC user for years with all my cars... from my previous BMWs to my daily beaters. It has kept my engines running quiet/smooth and the oil relatively clean... I'm an absolute believer in it.

After being forced to switch to the Mobil 1 0W-40 for my 2009 GT-R and seeing how dirty my first oil change was, I'm now contemplating changing to GC as an alternate oil. However, given that the GT-R specifically calls for M1 0W-40 ("specially designed with the high performance plasma bore engine") and the GC is more of a 0W-30, I'm wondering if this might not be such a good idea.

What are your thoughts about this replacement possibility? What are the downsides and pitfalls to watch out for?

As always, thanks in advance!

Don't judge an oil by its color. It really doesn't say much about how it protects an engine. If anything, some claim that a dirty oil means it is actually doing its job - suspending tiny dirt particles within itself.

With that said, the whole "specially designed with the high performance plasma bore engine" sounds like a bunch of marketing baloney.

You shouldn't have any problems switching to GC, but if it's going to make you lose warranty, then don't do it.

By the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Last edited:
i would agree with QP that the "specially designed with the high performance plasma bore engine" sounds like a bunch of marketing baloney.

having said that, while i hold GC in high esteem, look at this page.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

i certainly wouldn't go with any oil that doesn't meet both MB229.5 and Porsche. there is only one oil on both of those lists that you can get in the US.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply and warm welcome, Pete!

With regards to a dirtier oil cleaning better, I do agree with that school of thought as well. I just keep coming back to the fact that M1 is a refined Grp3 rather than the Grp4 GC, so I guess something just eats at me inside telling me that the GC would provide much better wear protection.

And agreed, that plasma bore nonsense is absolute marketing nonsense. I'm sure Nissan just picked whichever sponsor shelled out the most $$$. Even the engine oil cap under the hood has "MOBIL 1" plastered on it... it's sickening.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Don't judge an oil by its color. It really doesn't say much about how it protects an engine. If anything, some claim that a dirty oil means it is actually doing its job - suspending tiny dirt particles within itself.

With that said, the whole "specially designed with the high performance plasma bore engine" sounds like a bunch of marketing baloney.

You shouldn't have any problems switching to GC, but if it's going to make you lose warranty, then don't do it.

By the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmd51231
I just keep coming back to the fact that M1 is proving to be a Grp3

I don't think that has been proven anywhere. There may be some M1 grades that people find questionable, but with M1 0w-40 meeting all the stringent specs that it does, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I just keep coming back to the fact that M1 is a refined Grp3 rather than the Grp4 GC

I've been practically the leader of the Mobil 1 is group III pack, but we've also seen some evidence from data sheets in other parts of the world that Mobil 1 0w-40 has a high % of PAO. It also does not meet GF-4 emission system protection requirements, so it has higher levels of zinc then GC.

I'd use the Mobil 1 0w-40! It's the best Mobil 1 product IMO.

Awesome guys, this is definitely reassuring! Now just to look for some good deals to load up on M1 0W-40. :)

First off.. Cool Car!!!

Secondly... I thought it's been generally agreed upon that ANY oil that is 0w__ will have more group 4 and 5 in it... especially the Mobil 1 products. That might ease your thoughts about it being mostly refined Grp 3.

I'd stick with the Mobil 1 0w40 .. Approved by Mercedes, BMW, Porsche .... and Nissan!

Drew,

Heh, yep. It was your post amongst others that got me switching from the BMW OEM castrol over to GC a few years back. Now I have a mountain of GC in my garage, but unfortunately, that'll be used for the daily beaters.
15.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I just keep coming back to the fact that M1 is a refined Grp3 rather than the Grp4 GC

I've been practically the leader of the Mobil 1 is group III pack, but we've also seen some evidence from data sheets in other parts of the world that Mobil 1 0w-40 has a high % of PAO. It also does not meet GF-4 emission system protection requirements, so it has higher levels of zinc then GC.

I'd use the Mobil 1 0w-40! It's the best Mobil 1 product IMO.

Thanks Nick!

Yeah, it is the only oil out there that specifically says "certified for Nissan GT-R." Just have too much faith in GC, I guess.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: BigNick
First off.. Cool Car!!!

Secondly... I thought it's been generally agreed upon that ANY oil that is 0w__ will have more group 4 and 5 in it... especially the Mobil 1 products. That might ease your thoughts about it being mostly refined Grp 3.

I'd stick with the Mobil 1 0w40 .. Approved by Mercedes, BMW, Porsche .... and Nissan!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It also does not meet GF-4 emission system protection requirements, so it has higher levels of zinc then GC.

GC doesn't meet GF-4 either.

No, use M1. Nissan developed this engine around using this oil. I'm sure other oils would be fine such as Amsoil 5w40 or even Castrol Syncrap 5w40, but GC I would not use. I would stick with a very high quality 40 grade if you absolutely don't want to use Mobil 1.

Nissan GTR engineer.

http://mobil1.com.au/what/index.aspx

M1 0w40 can handle high temperatures better than most 40 grade oils. This is why Nissan likes the oil.

Yeah, but I think a lot of the "designed around" claim has to do with the plasma bored engine design. Even the GT-R certified tech told me that, because of this co-development claim, they were initially led to believe that the GT-R used some special type of Mobil1. To his surprise, it as just the plain jane M1 0W-40 Euro blend that you can pick up at Autozone.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
No, use M1. Nissan developed this engine around using this oil. I'm sure other oils would be fine such as Amsoil 5w40 or even Castrol Syncrap 5w40, but GC I would not use. I would stick with a very high quality 40 grade if you absolutely don't want to use Mobil 1.

Nissan GTR engineer.

http://mobil1.com.au/what/index.aspx

M1 0w40 can handle high temperatures better than most 40 grade oils. This is why Nissan likes the oil.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that and as I said if you don't want to use Mobil 1, use a good 40 grade oil. I wouldn't use GC because it's not the correct viscosity and I'd be suspect of it's ability to retain high temperature deposits as well as Mobil 1. This is where Mobil 1 really excels.

Awesome, thanks buster. Now to figure out the transmission oil problem...........

I don't doubt that and as I said if you don't want to use Mobil 1, use a good 40 grade oil. I wouldn't use GC because it's not the correct viscosity and I'd be suspect of it's ability to retain high temperature deposits as well as Mobil 1.

M1 oils may have some GRP 3 in their formula, But they are high in GRP4-5 as well. Much of the GRP 3 talk is rumor started by M1 bashers. In Dec 08 I called Mobil tech and they told me all M1 oils are Grp 4, with that said no doubt they do contain some GRP 3. The M1 0-40 is as good an oil as there is, and cleans as well as any oil out there.

What about all the talk about it shearing down to a 30 weight and it ruining BMW 335 engines??

I have an MB E320 that specifies M1 0W40 and up to 10K OCI and have been slightly concerned about all the talk about shearing and high metal during the Blackstone tests.

high_temperature2.jpg

I don't see GC on this photo, so how can you say that it won't do as good of a job as the M1 0w-40?

Come on buster, I know you're smarter than to fall for such vague marketing materials. Granted, you can always find a product that doesn't compare favorably to yours in one test or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back