GC good for Honda MT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My manual says to use 10w-30 in my '93 Civic manual transmission. (Honda MT wasn't around in '93). I am going to put in a couple oz's of AutoRX to clean, then refill with either a Syn or GC. I'm thinking GC should fit the bill...comments?

You're right, the older Honda trannies call for 10W-30; newer models state that you can use 10W-30 as a 'temporary measure' until you can get it changed to Honda MTF ASAP. I'd say... now that Honda MTF is available, use it. However a lot of people use motor oil, and don't have any problems whatsoever. That being said, and to answer your question, I 'think' I read somewhere that Honda trannies don't like synthetic oil. Something about the additive package 'eating' the synchros (specifically Royal Purple). I've also read that Honda trannies (Integra specifically) tend to develop a 3rd gear synchro grind regardless of what they're filled with. Let me add the disclaimer that I don't know if there's any truth to any of this. I suggest you visit Honda specific forums, and ask some questions. Hopefully the always helpful BITOG crew will be able to answer this question better than I can. I use Honda MTF... and there's an excellent UOA on it posted here. Good luck!

uconn1150,
Firstoff, I'd find out how much you're going to pay for the Honda MTL. I'll bet the price will be pretty close to what you would pay for RedLine MTL.

My 1984 CRX calls for a 10w30 in the tranny as well. And up until the point where I found out about RedLine, it had regular old Castrol GTX 10w30 in it. That was probably up until the early 90s or so.

At this point, my CRX and the wife's Civic get RedLine MTL in the tranny. I currently have Castrol GTX in my brother in law's Civic tranny (my old one). He hasn't reported anything screwey with the tranny...but the reason we did that was a cost standpoint.

As a satisfied user, I'd recommend RedLine MTL for this application. Especially when compared to the price of the Honda sauce.

Bogatyr

Honda MTL works about as good as anything in Honda trannies. Its a high quality product, I wouldnt use anything else, particularly motor oil. Peace of mind and great shift qualities with Honda MTL, no need to fool around with other stuff IMO.

My '93 Integra now has 220 000 miles on it. It too specifies 10W30 for the 5 spd. I can tell you what I have experienced...

Older SH motor oil worked fine. SJ and SL oil worked so so...more grinding than I would have liked. I tried Mobil 1 synthetic; I drained it a week later; the tranny shifted BRUTAL, slight to severe grinding almost every shift. Speculation is that newer SL and synthetic oils are too slippery with friction modifiers for the synchros to work properly. That said, I do know people who use synthetic oil with no complaints; I think it depends on YOUR! particular tranny.

I now use Honda MTF; the tranny again shifts VERY nicely. A friend uses Redline MTL; his tranny shifts beautiful as well.

I chose Honda MTF because it was $8.00 vs $12.00 (Cdn) for Redline, and because I could buy it TODAY! at any dealer.

grin.gif

uconn1150, you should have done a search in this subsection using the word “Honda” and you’d have found a few threads dealing with the fill for manual gearboxes. The subject has already been covered extensively.

Don’t use a contemporary synthetic motor oil. It has nothing to do with the additives “attacking” the synchros. It’s just that the stuff is too slippery for proper synchro engagement. You need a fluid with a coefficient of friction tailored for synchromesh gearboxes.

My experience mirrors that of geeman. In my 1990 Integra and ‘95 Civic, the factory fill was OK. Mobil 1 10W30 (The formula before Tri-Synthetic) was awful but Red Line MTL was the best.

Honda MTF works well for about 1/2 - 2/3 the price of Red Line MTL but you won’t get exceptional cold weather performance ... which may not mean anything to you down in Texas.

There is no reason to use 10W30 motor oil in any Honda manual tranny anymore unless you are merely getting ready to get rid of the car.

Bror Jace

For some reason, when you try to search for "Honda" or "honda" in this subforum, it returns 0 results. Anyone else gets this and finds it strange?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
For some reason, when you try to search for "Honda" or "honda" in this subforum, it returns 0 results. Anyone else gets this and finds it strange?
dunno.gif

Yeah, something is buggered. Search for "Camry" (of which there are two topics on the first page alone) and it comes back ONE.

But i know yesterday the board was down for 'service' so maybe they didn't get it done properly. Moderators? Any thing you know of?

ferb!

Ok, bump. I was thinking about GC for the new Honda box too. Manual says, 10w-30 or 10w-40. GC is perfect inbetween those two when hot and the cooler viscs sorta resemble a 10w-30. The added bonus is the cold performance. Does GC have FMs? If not, I might try it next winter. Honda MTF is not supposed to do well in cold.

quote:

I've also read that Honda trannies (Integra specifically) tend to develop a 3rd gear synchro grind regardless of what they're filled with. Let me add the disclaimer that I don't know if there's any truth to any of this.

100% NOT TRUE.

Alot of people who race their Integra/RSX/Civic/Del Sol/Prelude will have trans problems......No matter what fluid they use. And website rumors that Amsoil MTF & Redline MTL kills Honda/Acura trans is also BULL.
nono.gif

Wife has a 98 Civic EX 5 speed (134,000 miles) and it has Honda MTF and if shifts like new, no grinding or wear of 3rd gear. I change the fluid every 70K miles. Took a winter trip to Charlotte NC and it shifts very well in cold weather. If you abuse your car, of course it will be grinding & popping out of gear.

Save the Mobil 1 and GC Syntec for your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back