GC good for GM 5.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see posts that indicate GM LT1/LS1 engines LOVE GC. Are these engines the same as a suburban 5.3?

Does the GM 5.3 in trucks also love the GC?

Thanks Brett

I currently have Havoline 5W-30 with 4K on the oil and 15K on the truck. WIll do a UOA of teh Havoline and then decide whether to put in the GC.

Nelsonlwn....I have a 2004 5.3L that had Syntec in it until about a week ago. I sent the Syntec for UOA, but it is lost in the mail. I would be intersted in your thoughts on Havoline. I have M1 10W30 in the 5.3L now, but I have Havoline 5W30 waiting until the M1 is depleted.

I have wondered about GC in the 5.3L myself. Here is my UOA with Castrol GTX.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002367

NewGuy

Thanks for the UOA link. I dont have any "objective" data on the Havoline yet. I will have a UOA on the havoline in a couple of weeks, as I have about 500 miles left before my oil change.

Some subjective observations: I changed from the factory fill to Havoline 5W-30 @ 50% on the OLM (4000 miles). I immediately felt a smoother engine and the gas mileage increased. Thought it might just be breaking in well. When the OLM said to change, I took the Suburban to the dealer because I had a free oil change coupon. They used Quaker State 5W-30. Almost immediately , I could feel that the truck seemed sluggish. I changed out the Quaker State and put back in Havoline 5W-30 at 56% OLM and again felt a smoother engine and better gas mileage. I am now down to 8% on the OLM and will do a UOA on the Havoline.

I am really looking to using GC with all the excellent UOAs on here, but I am going to wait until I see the results of the UOA with the Havoline.

quote:

Originally posted by nelsonlwn:
I see posts that indicate GM LT1/LS1 engines LOVE GC. Are these engines the same as a suburban 5.3?

Does the GM 5.3 in trucks also love the GC?

The 5.3 is of almost identical design to the LS1 and should do well on GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back