GC gold or green VW

Status
Not open for further replies.
How well will a 2.0L VW jetta 1997 run with GC gold or green (if i can find the green)? I was going to use their 5W40 since it meets VW spec. Thanks.

Isnt the 5w-40 the BC and not GC?

from what I have heard the green and gold isnt too far different from each other. their is something wrote up about in her somewhere. too lazy to look for it. just browse through the pages you will find it.

Actualy GC (0w-30) meets the same VW502 spec as Syntec 5w-40. GC (0w-30) also meets the more stringent VW503.01 where as Syntec 5w-40 does not. The only other oils that meet the VW503.01 spec are true synthetics or high dollar specialty oils. For this reason I use GC with no worries in my 2006 VW GLI.

quote:

Actualy GC (0w-30) meets the same VW502 spec as Syntec 5w-40. GC (0w-30) also meets the more stringent VW503.01 where as Syntec 5w-40 does not. The only other oils that meet the VW503.01 spec are true synthetics or high dollar specialty oils. For this reason I use GC with no worries in my 2006 VW GLI.

I have a 2006 GLI as well, and have had consumption issues with the M1 0w40 that the dealer put in (it consumed about 1 quart between miles 5000 and 7000). I saw what appeared to be GC at an Autozone and had a few questions I was wondering if you could answer.

Is GC a Group IV oil? The last post I saw on this was in April, and I couldn't tell if it said it was Group IV or a blend of Group III and Group IV.

Is what I have GC or just another Castrol Syntec? I think it was gold in color (I filled my car from a garage), but it was 0w30, purchased at an Autozone, met VW 502 00 & 503 00, said "Made in Germany" but was clearly in a US-style bottle (it said not for sale outside North America and was in English and Spanish), indicating it was imported by Castrol/BP, was API SL and ACEA B3 rated, and was the same price as the regular API SM-rated Castrol Syntecs of various ratings (5w40, 5w30, 10w30) that were at the Autozone that did not have the 502 rating. It was not the 5w40 that has "specially designed for BMW/MB/VW" written on the label.

Update. I just saw the post with links to pictures from a few days ago, and the oil I put in was in the same bottle, and was a bit cloudy in texture rather than clear, so perhaps it was the green GC. In any case, if you could still confirm the above that would be great!

[ December 31, 2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: akuska ]

Form what I have read GC is mostly group IV with some bit of group V in it. People feel free to correct me here.

GC's composition has been tested by Terry not that long ago during an extensive and very expensive analysis.
Terry's conclusion:
"GC is primarily a PAO based lubricant. Nothing but Group IV and higher components."

akuska,

How did you break in your GLI? I broke mine in well and have had zero consumption since day one. Have you ever run the car hard?

quote:

check your private messages for link to gc identification and good batch numbers.

Thanks. It looks like I got the good stuff (and the green good stuff at that).

What's been your experience with the oil? Does it reduce oil consumption? I just used it as a top-off for the M1 0w40 that my dealer put in at 5K, so I have about 1 quart GC and 4.5 quarts of M1 in their right now (I think the 2.0T holds about 5.5 quarts). I'm at 7k total miles now, so my next oil change is not for another 3k miles, so at the M1 burn rate, that would be another 1.5 quarts unless the GC slows that down.

After that, I switch to 10k intervals per the VW manual (although in theory I should run lower OCIs because it's about 50% city driving). I'm not too worried about running 10k intervals, particularly if the M1 that the dealer puts in will continue to boil off that quickly. By the time I hit the 5k interval, it would be about 40% new GC in there.

quote:

What's been your experience with the oil? Does it reduce oil consumption?

In my A4 1.8t at 92K miles there has been no change in oil consumption - I've never seen any decernable oil consumption at 5K OCI for any oil M1 15/50 & 0w40 or GC. Engine seems to run quieter/smoother. Gas mileage is the same so far but I'll track that for the entire OCI before I'll know for sure.

akuska,

Your car should not be consuming that much oil. My GLI consumed none of the factory fill. Again, have you run the car hard at any time? If not you NEED to.

It might not be consuming that much oil. However, it was near the "MIN" line when I checked it yesterday and topped off with the GC. It is now at the "MAX" line. Perhaps the dealer didn't fill it all the way to "MAX" (I usually check, but didn't last time). I did need to top off the factory fill at 2500 miles by just shy of a quart, but that's been my experience with all new cars. At 5000, it hadn't lost much, if any oil from 2500. I put US Castrol Syntec in at that time since that's all I could find then.

I've taken the car to redline a few times and used the full powerband, but since I do a lot of city driving the car spends a lot of time between 1700-2500 RPM. Would you recommend driving it for an extended highway stretch at higher RPMs?

Yeah I would definately recommend taking it for an extended highway stretch without using the cruise control. I took my car on a 1000 mile trip when it had 400 miles on it. At one point during the trip I confirmed that the car does not have a speed limiter. (It got a good break in)

quote:

I've taken the car to redline a few times and used the full powerband, but since I do a lot of city driving the car spends a lot of time between 1700-2500 RPM.

Try to use wide-open-throttle (WOT) wherever possible. The freeway on-ramps are perfect for that.

speedtc,

During break in it is best to vary throttle position and RPM. Most manufacturers state this in the manual.

quote:

akuska,

Your car should not be consuming that much oil. My GLI consumed none of the factory fill. Again, have you run the car hard at any time? If not you NEED to.

OK, I topped off with GC over the weekend, and since it was dark in the garage, I hadn't noticed that I slightly overfilled. It looks like I'm about half a quart over (it was just below MIN, and I wound up putting the whole quart in. Now it appears to be slightly above MAX). I have about 2750 miles to the next oil change (scheduled at 10,000 miles). I now have a mix of 1 qt GC and the rest M1 0w40.

Now the reason I have the dealer change the oil is that VW makes it difficult to get to the oil pan, with covers etc. underneath the engine.

Do you think I am OK running a little over for a while (probably about 7-8 more weeks with the mileage I put on) letting the excess burn off, or should I make an effort to remove the excess oil?

It is in a VW 2.0T (GLI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back