GC Gold Group III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here is why I ask this:

Castrol has previously said that the USA 0w-30 is the same as in Europe, and now we find that the GC formulation has apparently changed (gold to green, different add pack, etc.).

So, since USA 0w-30 appears to be group III, is there some basis to conclude that the new gold GC (not the 04 green stuff) is likewise group III?

dunno.gif

Bob W.

Since we're 99% sure the new gold GC is SLX Longtec, it's not going to be made up of group 3, otherwise they couldn't call it full synthetic in Europe.

Besides, with the specs that GC must meet, group 3 wouldn't be good enough.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Since we're 99% sure the new gold GC is SLX Longtec, it's not going to be made up of group 3, otherwise they couldn't call it full synthetic in Europe.

Do you mean the ACEA3 specs? Castrol USA claims USA 0w-30 meets this, so that is why I was wondering.

Thanx

cheers.gif

Bob W.

quote:

Most likely in Europe there is no a very strict regulation in this matter too and oil manufacturers have certain flexibility in their interpretations. Last years the most of them describe gr.III oils as a Synthetic Technology, but others still use Full Synthetic. Good example is Shell that calls its Helix Ultra 5W-40 as Fully Synthetic oil.

I don't see why the new stuff couldn't be Group III or a blend.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

I was thinking about doing a VOA on USA 0w-30, and see what the numbers show as compared to the Gold GC that is in the VOA database, if anyone wants me to.

Bob W.

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

I was thinking about doing a VOA on USA 0w-30, and see what the numbers show as compared to the Gold GC that is in the VOA database, if anyone wants me to.

Bob W.

I'm pretty sure it is already there, just look around some more...

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:

quote:

Most likely in Europe there is no a very strict regulation in this matter too and oil manufacturers have certain flexibility in their interpretations. Last years the most of them describe gr.III oils as a Synthetic Technology, but others still use Full Synthetic. Good example is Shell that calls its Helix Ultra 5W-40 as Fully Synthetic oil.

Would that depend on which country it was being sold in? I thought some, like maybe Germany, were fairly strict on it.

quote:

quote:

Do you mean the ACEA3 specs? Castrol USA claims USA 0w-30 meets this, so that is why I was wondering.

Thanx

cheers.gif

Bob W.

SOMEONE at Castrol Said that. Someone who is paid to talk on the phone. The container itself says otherwise. Belive the container.After all , its in writing!
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by reyjay1:

quote:

quote:

Bob W.

I'm pretty sure it is already there, just look around some more...

The only ones I found are for GC, not the USA 0w-30.

Bob W.

Castrol Gold a Group III?...NO! NO! 1000 TIMES NO!

Didn't we go through this with The Green? COME ON, everybody!

quote:

Not necessarily true. If the Group III used was XHVI or some other wax isomerate, that plus 20% to 30% PAO could easily meet those specs, IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:
If an oil covers the BMW LL 01 approval , it is group IV or V.

Well, here is why I am now really confused:

USA 0w-30 claims to "exceed...BMW LL-01" yet the MSDS says for all grades of Syntec (including 0w-30) it is "synthetic hydrocarbon" with "multi functional additive mixture...".

So now, I am totally confused.....
spaz.gif

Bob W.

synthetic hydrocarbon is a very broad term. I am noticing that in MSDS sheets and PDS files that the manufactureres are getting less and less specific.

quote:

Originally posted by reyjay1:

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:

quote:

Would that depend on which country it was being sold in? I thought some, like maybe Germany, were fairly strict on it.

European Union members have the same standards.

quote:

it's not going to be made up of group 3, otherwise they couldn't call it full synthetic in Europe.

That's what I thought too until recently.

Check out this Castrol UK site:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=82915276&contentId=6008719

They call the RS 10w-60 a full synthetic and yet it is just group 3 oil these days (Fuchs in the UK did a chemical analysis to confirm it).

Castrol's German website also calls it "vollsyntetishe":
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=82916346&contentId=6004594

Castrol likes to play their "synthetic" games not only in the US these days...

Definitely. Castrol skimps out on the baseoils and for some odd reason they used a really good PAO for GC. Looks like the synthetics they make are generally not "true" full synthetics. The Syntec line is a rip off. I went back and looked at some UOA's. TBN's are shot after a few thousand miles with regular Syntec. I'll pass on Catrol.
wink.gif

At least with Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1 you know what your getting. These other clowns just play games.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
They call the RS 10w-60 a full synthetic and yet it is just group 3 oil these days (Fuchs in the UK did a chemical analysis to confirm it).

I don't think there is any way a 10w60 oil can be built using nothing but Group III base oil. If this oil is built using Group III, it has SOME Group III in it, but I'm sure it also has PAO and esters in it too.

I'm pretty sure in Europe and Germany if the base oil blend is comprised of MOSTLY PAO and/or synthetic esters, then the oil can be labeled "Full Synthetic" even if there is some Group III in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back