GC = Gold Castrol or Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I finally went to an AutoZone a ways from home and found some "European Formula" 0w30 "Made in Germany" Syntec.
I opened it up and after dipping a paper towel in, discovered it looks more gold than green.

Has the formula changed? I've read a few posts that allude to Gold Castrol.
If it changed, is it as good as the Green Castrol?

Curious...Since I just did another M1 change, I've got a few months before I can use this batch, but I thought I'd ask.

Scott

anything prior 0504 is green. anyhting 0504 and after is gold. the gold will work just the same as the green. its just most on here still have large stashes of green left. so they havent used the gold yet. but some people have and said its just as fine as the green. so use with no worries.

Thanks, DJ.
Is that a date code?
Has anyone done UOA's on the gold?
Is it only a dye that is the difference?

Scott

BTW, I don't know if the "old" Green bottles were as obvious as I could never find any, but the new Gold have a yellow "European Formula" bubble that stands out pretty well from the regular Syntec.

Quote:

OK, I finally went to an AutoZone a ways from home and found some "European Formula" 0w30 "Made in Germany" Syntec.
I opened it up and after dipping a paper towel in, discovered it looks more gold than green.

Curious...Since I just did another M1 change, I've got a few months before I can use this batch, but I thought I'd ask.

Scott

Man, where have you been for the last year. If this has been discussed once, it has been discussed a thousand times on this site.

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Man, where have you been for the last year. If this has been discussed once, it has been discussed a thousand times on this site.

I've not been reading up on the GC sagas as I wasn't really interested in it after not finding any here where I live.

I've got a suggestion, if you have nothing of value to add, go mow your lawn or shovel your driveway.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

Is it only a dye that is the difference?

It's more than just a color difference. The base oil is the same but the additive package is different. The green formula had a lot more calcium in it.

It appears that the gold is giving just as good wear numbers in the UOAs as the green. Although I am still curious to see for myself in my own car. I've still got a 39L supply of the green formula. If I hog that supply just for my own car it'll last me more than two years but if I continue to share it with my dad's car it'll go much quicker. I am considering switching my dad's car over to the gold on the next oil change in order to keep more of the green for my car. But then I am also getting real curious to see if the gold shows good results in my car like the green has. So I haven't made a final decision on what I'm going to do just yet.

Thanks, Pat - excellent info.
I'd be bummed to go through all this just to find that the new gold stuff isn't as good as the old green.

Toyotas do well based on all the UOA's I've seen using M1, so I wilol be curious to see if there's a difference.

So far, I've used Kendall, M1, and now Syntec synth.
They all worked well and didn't burn a drop with my 3-4.5k OCIs.

Scott

I think SJUMBA was eluding to the search function... maybe?
dunno.gif

All you need to know about green vs gold is here and been discussed in depth. The gold appears to be every bit as good as the green (except maybe the gummi-bear smell).

SEARCH and ye shall find!

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

all you had to say is do a search on it or there is a FAQ at the top of the page that has all the info you need to know about GC. not to be a smart A$$ about it.

everything on BITOG has been disscused a million times over and over.

did it hurt anyhting by him posting this? NO

yeah scott its the date code on the bottom of the bottle

And if there were points to be awarded, DJ would get them.
I love when (especially nOObs) people scream SEARCH! on forums.
If all we wanted was a static repository for data, then someone create a website with oil facts and lock it down.

I personally like a forum with interaction, that means - HEAVEN FORBID - that some info and questions get posted more than once.

Thanks again, DJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back