GC Gold 0W-30, 5,058 miles, 2005 Tacoma 4.0 V6 1GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost 5 months on German Castrol Gold, Amsoil EaO57 oil filter and a full 5,000 on the AEM DryFlow. I used LC20 in the oil and FP60 in the gas. I did a 650 mile road trip to Maine the week before I changed the oil.

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Toyota
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 4.0L V-6 1GR-FE
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline
OIL USE INTERVAL: 5,058 Miles
MILES ON ENGINE: 16,858
OIL TYPE & GRADE: German Castrol Gold 0W-30
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts
SAMPLE DATE: 07/14/06

GC Gold 0W-30/Amsoil ASL 5W-30

Aluminum: 2/3
Chromium: 0/0
Iron: 7/4
Copper: 3/4
Lead: 2/1
Tin: 0/1
Molybdenum: 9/66
Nickel: 0/0
Manganese: 1/5
Silver: 0/0
Titanium: 0/0
Potassium: 0/0
Boron: 10/122
Silicon: 14/17
Sodium: 9/3
Calcium: 1851/2877
Magnesium: 346/11
Phosphorus: 731/586
Zinc: 850/668
Barium: 0/0

TBN: 3.4/2.7

Viscosity: 61.9/59.8
Flashpoint: 395/400°F
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0.0/0.0
Water: 0.0/0.0
Insolubles: 0.3/0.3

Blackstone Comments: Wear still looks great in your Tacoma. The TBN read 3.4, still active additive remaining. A low reading is 1.0 or lower. The oil was in good shape physically, containing no moisture, fuel, or coolant. Silicon dropped, as did bearing wear [copper, lead, tin], even though you're running longer oil changes. Looking good! You could try 6000 miles on the next oil.

My Comments: The silicon dropped which was expected due to a good filter and the break-in is pretty much finished. The iron went up a little bit but this version of Castrol has 2 ppm of iron in it's virgin state. Very happy with the results. Lots of life left in the oil to extend my oil changes. Happy with the silicon results mainly. Shows that the AEM DryFlow is the real deal. I'm showing better than average air filtration numbers on this engine.

Trying GC Green currently with a K&N oil filter.

Previous UOA: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003337

[ August 14, 2006, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: boone88rr ]

Most (all?) current engines use silicone sealing compounds during assembly. Do you have any evidence that the measured silicon levels aren't merely mirroring harmless silicone leeching into the motor oil?

Toyota engines will tend to leach silicon(e) from the oil pan gasket and camshaft seals for at least the first 20k-30k miles. In fact it took about 30k for the silicon levels to stabilize on my '95 Tacoma. Both these oils also contain 2-4 ppm of polymeric silicone as an antifoam agent in the additive package.

Given these facts, the age of this engine and the # of silicon in these analyses, I'd say you have extremely good air filtration. This is also indicated by the low Cr/Fe/Ni/Al levels.

This engine looks like it's just now getting fully broken in. Your next test should show you the stabilized condition of the motor.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Most (all?) current engines use silicone sealing compounds during assembly. Do you have any evidence that the measured silicon levels aren't merely mirroring harmless silicone leeching into the motor oil?

I do believe that a majority of the silicon is from leeching as well as an antifoaming agent like TooSlick said. I think it is an attainable goal to get the Si down to 10 ppm over the next 10k miles.

As it was pointed out, the bearing metals are down along with the silicon number. I have seen other UOAs on this 1GR-FE engine and most of them, with more miles on the odometer, have higher silicon readings. This indicates to me that the air filter is working very well. I expect a continued trend downward.

The universal average Blackstone publishes for this engine is 15 ppm of silicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back