GC going back to AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave it a fighting chance but my Matrix just never warmed up to the good old GC so 25 quarts of green and gold(21 and 4)are going home to Mama AZ
wink.gif

I'm no engineer and never claimed to be one and I have no proof that my car did not like GC other than

1)An annoying rattle that was present at 3k on the tach while speeding up is now gone with Chevron 5W30 in there(to be fair it might be a synth thing because it did it with Pennz Plat and M1)

2)My exhaust no longer smells like ammonia
dunno.gif

3)So far my mpg has been up a gallon or 2 since changing

4)Car as a whole seems quieter

5)I don't see elves in my rearview mirror anymore and when I turn and look in my back seat they are not there.........

Sad day as I had a blast hunting the stuff down in October
frown.gif
I called AZ and asked if I could return it and he was wondering why the heck I had so much oil......he doesn't get it I guess so I just humored him.

I'm sure this is great stuff in the right engines but my 1.8 just did not seem to enjoy it.

I sent some out for a UOA yesterday to Blackstone...5430 miles on it...I'll post the findings when I hear from them
grin.gif

Be good and enjoy the Green! fwiw there will be 25 quarts of GC back on the shelf in the Nashua NH AZ tomorrow sometime after 5
patriot.gif

quote:

2)My exhaust no longer smells like ammonia

It has nothing to do with oil...
Gas?

I would like to hear from others with the same engine and oil combo.

I'm not slamming the stuff, just what I observed...

maybe you are right and it was the gas although I usually get gas from 1 or 2 stations and now no ammonia smell...
dunno.gif
You're probably right...it was usually only first thing in the morning and it was/is COLD.

Co-inky-dink?

I'm trying to think of others who have the same engine as me....Bill in Utah does but he doesn't run GC, Boxgrover has a Vibe with a 1.8 and I know he ran GC for once cycle....Crack-Tan is another that comes to mind....Alan has a Corolla but not sure on GC status.

UOA will be fun to see(my first one)
patriot.gif

as it has been said before GC isnt right for every engine out there. just like M-1 made my engine run terrible. sorry to hear about GC not working for ya. even ELVES are not perfect
lol.gif

quote:

even ELVES are not perfect

shocked.gif
Please tell me I didn't hear what I thought I heard because if I heard what I thought I heard, then I have heard that which I had hoped would NEVER be heard...by anyone....
wink.gif

I've heard of other's with that engine say they thought it made their engine "sluggish."

I have that engine in a 2000 Prizm with 103K and it is doing fine. No complaints whatsoever. Smooth. Starts right up (even down to the fridged 35 degrees we had two weeks ago....LOL) Runs great. Excellent acceleration. I wonder if it is because I'm here in the desert.

I have not tried it in my other Prizm that has 60K miles on it. Finishing off some old M1 that I had lying around 5W30 and 15W40 mix.

FYI, same gas milage with each of them of around 33 mpg 60/40 HWY/City mix. No change from when I was running straight 5W30 M1 year round. I guess that VVT-i really does work in a range of Cst. I can't seem to increase my MPG no matter what I do. Straight HWY 34 MPG. Go to elvation and MPG's go up to 37 MPG (was my best two tank fulls while driving through Utah). I'm NOT moving just to get better MPG!
rolleyes.gif

Ucan & Pscholte:

I'm just back from the long road trip -- to the Black Forest East (would that be "Der Schwartzwaldosten" -- long time since my last German class...). Ucan, wish you'd posted this before I drove off from New Hampshire three days ago -- I'd have taken the stuff off your hands directly! Oh well, I'm back in New Orleans already. . .

There have been some other reports of noticeable sluggishness in Toyota four cylinder engines when fed GC. These engines really seem to favor thin stuff, and keep in mind, there are rumblings that Toyota may follow Ford and Honda and spec 20 wt oil. GC is probably thicker than your engine likes, though I doubt it would do any harm. BTW, I had fantastic results running M1 in a Toyota 4-cyl. As to the ammonia smell -- who knows. Perhaps the thicker oil slightly increases drag in the engine at idle causing the ECU to proportionally increase fuel flow in order to maintain target idle RPM. This might, and I do emphasize might, result in a slight increase in exhaust odor, esp before the cats have heated up and become efficient.
cheers.gif

Id have M1 10w-30 in any toyota 4-cyl engine that is within CONUS and not think twice about it...

JMH

Oh man...I was gonna make a post earlier also...I would have but I found out you could return oil within 90 days to AZ which I didn't believe was the case. In fact I just got back from returning it...change in where it went back to...there is now 21 quarts of GC green in the Danvers MA Auto Zone instead of the Nashua NH one.

If you go there it will probably be all the way in the back as the rack was full of gold in the different packaging that now says European Formula on it. Ask for the GC that is in the Pennzoil and Castrol GTX boxes
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back