GC & GM LL oil spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi, I had a few bottles of GC, but used them up... I am curious if that oil meets the GM long-life oil spec. Frankly, I dont know what to think about M1 0w-40, which I believe is the only GM long-life oil spec oil sold in the USA. I worry a bit about the phenomenon that is seen where the oil shears doen a bit before thickening back to a 40wt. Those sheared VIIs must cause some sort of mess in the engine, which I don't want. The application would be a new saab... MPG is very important to me, so a 30wt would be preferred, even though M1 0w-40 is a lighter 40wt. Also, compatibility with the oil life monitor, and warranty are issues as well. Any info on if the 0w-30 meets the GM LL spec would be great. I know there is an 'SLX GM' that is on the opel/saab approved list in europe, but I dont know how it differs from the SLX/GC sold on the shelves here. Many thanks, JMH

JHZR2

Staff member
problem is I have heard from this site that due to the weak dollar, that saab will not be importing that oil anymore, and instead using M1 0w-40. If I could, Id just use the saab 0w-30 and be VERY happy about it. Instead, I want to see my options. Thanks, JMH

quote:
Originally posted by JHZR2: If I could, Id just use the saab 0w-30 and be VERY happy about it. Instead, I want to see my options.
Stock up while it's available is an option . [Off Topic!] Saab owners can you tell me if the 5w-30 Synthetic Blend they have is for use in all current Saabs or for only select engines ?

JHZR2, Will you be strictly following the Oil Life monitor & changing only when it tells you to? Motorbike, Hey! Did you find a C900?? I replied to you over on TSN, but it wasn't until a few days after you posted & I think you might've missed it. Is the 5W-30 semi-syn for an N/A engine? It's been the "standard" recommendation for all Saabs for years (even though it hasn't been factory fill since 1999), but IMO it's best used only in N/A engines. With Saab's move to incorporate GM's Oil Life System, all new engines are getting full syn as the primary recommendation.

Eiron , Gave up on all new toy ideas and just keeping my Vette , that 31 year old loser of a car [Razz] Man , that GM-LL-A-025 is a heck of a spec now [Patriot] Two years of service if the monitior don't tell you to change first . http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/03oil-service.htm Now take an oil that meets both GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025 and ya got you something . [Wink] I see more and more companies making the GM specific oils to include the Opel Vectra oils . Some neat stuff becoming available for certain . http://vectra.opel.com/brand_sites/vectra/launch/uk/en/downloads/pdfs/Vectra_oil_retailers.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.