GC found in Rochester, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went down the street to the new Auto Zone in the 'hood and checked for the GC everyone is talking about. I bought the only 12 bottles they had in stock. I even discovered the Buy 5, Get 1 Free sale, so I paid $3.99/qt.

I have 7 qts of Amsoil S2k 0W-30 to use in addition to the 12 qts of GC. If I feel like diverting more money to the quest, I'll have to check other AZ's in the area. I only have two cars to take care of, so this oil supply should last me quite a while.

Since it has been brought up in other threads, some of the botttles had looked like they leaked, but a few of the 5W-30 right next to them were leaking as well. I wiped down the 0W-30 and nothing weeped out (even when I squeezed the bottle), so in the basket they went. I think I'm set for the year.

Lot Numbers:

M030426A
T/W05482

Well this makes the "7 th post on the sighting of the GC in the past month"
smile.gif

Well, I did do a search hoping to tack onto an existing thread. Unfortunately, the last thread diverted to burger talk, so it was moved to General and OT. I knew someone was looking for lot numbers, so I started a new thread.
tongue.gif

I could be wrong but this looks like it might be a brand new lot number we haven't seen before. Hopefully the newest supplies have no iron in them, and hopefully this means this oil really is here to stay. I'm hoping to have my VOA on this oil tonight, although the lab has been pretty slow working on my sample this week, I've been tracking their progress online and they've had the oil since Tuesday and only seem to be doing a couple of tests per day on it. They still had to do the viscosity at 100c, the TBN, the pour point and the visual inspection on it as of last night.

quote:

hopefully this means this oil really is here to stay

Patman, maybe all the hoopla caused you to miss it my post in the "Hot Off The Press" thread. Per the January 22, 2003 Safety Data Sheet, the "new" made in Germany SLX 0w30 is amber. (I'll e-mail it to you if you would like.) Hopefully it has the same qualities as the green stuff and hopefully it will continue to be imported to the US, but the fact that something with this oil causes it to be called "new" in Germany and all of a sudden the presumably old oil shows up on US shelves makes me wonder. Combined with Castrol's history, it is even more suspicious.

I didn't catch that actually. I'd be very leery of using the amber stuff until a VOA is done on it to compare it to the green stuff to see that it's the same.

I guess I'll crack one open when I get home to check the color. I don't know if I'd be willing to do a VOA though.

Has anyone here spotted "made in Germany" 0w30 that is amber yet though? Maybe it's only over in Europe.

My theory would be that they are disposing of their inventory of the green stuff over here. Who knows, maybe the amber stuff is even better. I'd be willing to bet we never see it on the shelves in North America.

quote:

Originally posted by Scott P:
Well, I did do a search hoping to tack onto an existing thread. Unfortunately, the last thread diverted to burger talk, so it was moved to General and OT. I knew someone was looking for lot numbers, so I started a new thread.
tongue.gif

offtopic.gif
Trust me, Scott P, if you ever had an IN-N-Out Burger, you would not have begun your sentence with "Unfortunately"
grin.gif
(And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.)

ON TOPIC T/W05482 is a batch number we have seen before on the East Coast and in the Upper Midwest. Just to make sure the story is straight. The green SLX is or was produced by Castrol UK and the amber by Castrol Germany. It could be that the 0W30 we are seeing came to us from Castrol UK by way of Germany.

Not trying to be a wiseguy...is that saying they produce both versions amber or green, or is that a color amber/green?

Honestly, the oil does look kind of like an amber/green color, since you can see both of those hues in there.

I popped the top on one of the bottles and looked inside. It's the green stuff.

Well, since yellow and blue make green, maybe amber and blue make Castrol green? But where do they get the blue from? Maybe Amber/Green has less blue making the color Amber? Is it like NNE is just a bit north of NE? Maybe Amber Green is a bit farther Amber of Green.

Ok, I really have no idea what I'm saying.

ScottP,

Calm down..it's OK..we know the affect this oil has on people...don't fight it...just...ahem...go with the flow.
grin.gif
The bottles I have checked are not "solid green" either...they are green/amber; if you pour them into a clear container, they are amber with a green layer on top.

I'm not being driven crazy by the oil. I was just trying to explain how the color could be both amber and green. Besides, it's just oil...
grin.gif

[ September 19, 2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Scott P ]

Just bought 4qts. Made in GERMANY..Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and it sure looks amber to me.
Autozone Atlantic Beach,FL. (3 qts. MO23386BTAG785 0059,1qt. 2217)
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 97XJ:
Just bought 4qts. Made in GERMANY..Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and it sure looks amber to me.
Autozone Atlantic Beach,FL. (3 qts. MO23386BTAG785 0059,1qt. 2217)
dunno.gif

Picked up 12qts. M023386BTAG785 2315
Poured some in a clear container =
tongue.gif
Green
tongue.gif

edit: Pretty sad I have to
welcome.gif
myself
grin.gif

[ September 19, 2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Meat ]

Status