GC for a 09 sonata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been useing edge 10w30 and its great! My OCI is always 7500 for warrantee reasons. I was thinking of trying the GC just to see if there is a difference. It should be fine as the car says 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 when above 0F. GF-3 or 4 and SL,SM or above. So Im good there but what do you guys think? Oh BTW I live in Atlanta GA now and the car is driven in hwy traffic about 500 miles a week. The Sonata is the 4 cylender.

The most obvious thing would be the GC is SL rated, which means that it meets the warranty requirements for 2004 and earlier vehicles. You would need to use a oil with SM or SN rating to meet your warranty requirement.

I believe the general belief is that GC was meant to meet certain European standards vs the API standards and possibly has too high of levels of certain things that were required to be reduced to meet SM levels.

Plenty of other good oils. If the car is spec'd for Xw20 or Xw30, the GC might be a touch too thick (not going to hurt anything, but not really optimal).

GC is well known to be a "thick" 30 weight oil.

While it may work well for some engines in "Hotlanta," for your ride, I'd use Edge or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 in a heartbeat and not look back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back