GC engery conserving

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
GC does not have the starburst on it, so it is not listed as an Energy Saving oil.

So it isnt posible to go from a 5W-30 syn. starburst to GC 0w-30 and get better gas mileage right?

I just put GC in my truck and my as milleage has stayed the exact same (over 2 tanks) as it was on Durablend. I was using 5w30 Durablend which is energy conserving and now I'm using a thick, non-energy conserving oil with no ill consequences...makes no sense to me.

quote:

Originally posted by sdude2k2000:

quote:

There are some of the Syntec 0w-30 American made that do have it (Red Label).

Don't you mean: Yellow Label
?

No, There are some American made Red Label Castrol 0w-30 bottles out there, but they have a starburst on the front. Makes it east to tell the difference between GC and American 0w-30.
I don't remember if the Yellow Label has a starburst.

I've tried 5/30 and 10/30 in my truck and GC has given me as good mileage as any oil I've used, dino, blend or synth.

The only way you're gonna know if GC affects your mileage is to track it over several OCI's with various oils and viscosities.

Motor oil viscosity is a very minor factor in fuel economy. Adding 1 PSI to your tires is probably a bigger factor.

Not being from the USA
patriot.gif
, can someone please explain what characteristics/specification an oil has to have to be classed as 'Energy Conserving' ?

Thanks

(On the subject of fuel economy, we have a saying over here: 'The biggest factor on fuel economy is the nut behind the wheel.'
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Paranoil:
Not being from the USA
patriot.gif
, can someone please explain what characteristics/specification an oil has to have to be classed as 'Energy Conserving' ?

Thanks

Not all the info but basicly the EC oil has to show a 2-3% mileage improvement over the a non EC baseline oil. then there is an EC-I and EC-II they differ as to improvemnt and vis grade.
bruce

(On the subject of fuel economy, we have a saying over here: 'The biggest factor on fuel economy is the nut behind the wheel.'
grin.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by sdude2k2000:

quote:

There are some of the Syntec 0w-30 American made that do have it (Red Label).

Don't you mean: Yellow Label
?

OK, got a pic of red label AC with the Starburst. Camera phone pic.

-

Did you note the date code on the bottle?

The last time I saw the starburst on any Syntec 0w30, it was the SJ version, with the snowflake on the front. I never tried it because, unlike all the others, it lacked the 'japanese valvetrain wear test' claim on the bottle.

I accidentally bought three of these older M02 series "GC" w/ the Made in USA/Starburst/SL/ACEA A1 rated mixed in among the six real McCoy GC M04s I scored again today...these will be returned definitely.

Also, contrary to a thread about the M0512 series as green again is untrue...I opened two of these in two separate AZs today...gold as gold it is.

quote:

Originally posted by Paranoil:
Not being from the USA
patriot.gif

Thanks

grin.gif

Like Bruce said. API and ACEA are essentially doing the same thing, but with different reference oils. It is entirely possible to get the API starburst, but not meet ACEA requirements, the starburst would indicate energy conserving and would therefore not meet ACEA standards.
confused.gif
ACEA has different standards if you claim or imply energy conserving on the product. Different % gains and different reference oils.

By Paranoil

"(On the subject of fuel economy, we have a saying over here: 'The biggest factor on fuel economy is the nut behind the wheel.'"

I very much believe in thay saying. I find that I get even improved MPG with xW-40 oil in one of my cars than 5/10W-30. My driving style is probably the main factor in my driving economy. I'm not a hard driver unless it becomes necessary for safety.

Also, I inflate my tires 3 lbs. over the amount listed on my cars. A tire dealer told me years ago that I'd get better tire wear with the increase. I have definitely found that to be true in my case. It also improved my MPG.

My first step in economy driving was to go with cars that get good gas mileage. I know this isn't for everyone but I enjoy life with it.

quote:

Motor oil viscosity is a very minor factor in fuel economy. Adding 1 PSI to your tires is probably a bigger factor.

yep

quote:

'The biggest factor on fuel economy is the nut behind the wheel

yep

hehe.

Here's an interesting thought- an engine gets better economy in cold weather because it can get more condensed air and provide better compression/combustion. But then that economy is lost because the tires will have lower pressure at lower tempurature. Thicker air also creates more wind drag!!! Oh- and the oil in the tranny, differencials, axles, would all be thicker on a cold day. So where does it all balance out???

RIGHT????

hahahaahahahahahh, so many little factors.

quote:

Originally posted by mdocod:

quote:

yep

quote:

'The biggest factor on fuel economy is the nut behind the wheel

yep

hehe.

Here's an interesting thought- an engine gets better economy in cold weather because it can get more condensed air and provide better compression/combustion. But then that economy is lost because the tires will have lower pressure at lower tempurature. Thicker air also creates more wind drag!!! Oh- and the oil in the tranny, differencials, axles, would all be thicker on a cold day. So where does it all balance out???

RIGHT????

hahahaahahahahahh, so many little factors.

And don't forget some places use reformulated gas in the winter which also decreases mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back