GC Crisis Developing?

Some recent threads have indicated some members have picked up GC at $1/quart. I went to AutoZone yesterday and it was $3.99/quart. I went to another AutoZone today and I saw some little green men (Elves?) shaking their heads. They refused to talk to me. [SPAZ!] This AutoZone had no GC on the shelves. I had a clerk check in the back but they were out. I went to another AutoZone an it was $3.99/quart. What is going on? Is Castrol about the pull the plug? [I dont know]

I don't think that the 0W-30 weight is or will be popular in the US because very few vehicles recommend it. The vast majority of vehicles here call for either 5W-20 or 5W-30. We know that a 0W-30 is totally appropriate for applications which call for 5W-30, but the oil buying public does not know that. Notice that Mobil recently switched it's Mobil-1 marketing from 0W-20 to 5W-20. Also, with the Euro at over $1.30 each it makes very little economic sense to import German made motor oil into the US. John

quote:
Originally posted by jthorner: We know that a 0W-30 is totally appropriate for applications which call for 5W-30, but the oil buying public does not know that.
Nor do they want to pay the significant price increase...

If GC trans-atlatic supply chain is killed by the Castrol white collars all is not lost. It is fortunate that Mobil offers Delvac 1 the Truck & SUV formula. If a shut down occurs we still have an excellent default oil avail at wally-world to rely on. However its not Green and made in Duetchland [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by outrun: However its not Green and made in Duetchland [Frown]
A tragedy indeed, though only a few will recognize its significance. [Frown] If the Elves are indeed shut out by BP From sending Elixer to the Home of the Brave and the Land of the Free In a few, sad thoughts this action will spawn But too few will realize what they've lost 'til its gone [ February 07, 2005, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]