GC -> Check Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K. I haven't read the code yet, but yesterday I just changed out my 01' Sebring to GC after an ARX clean and rinse. 37K on the car. Drove it for 70 miles, mostly highway, seemed fine. This morning, pulled out of the driveway, and the check engine light came on! Manual calls for 5-30 or 10-30 in higher temps. Ambient temp was 70F this morning. Could this be caused by too low a cold oil presure? Is the near 40wt too thick for this car? I'm dying here today until I can get home and have the code extracted.
confused.gif

It's not a near 40wt until it gets hot, if I understand the viscosity rating properly. I don't think low oil pressure would light a CEL either. Probably (hopefully) not related to the oil change - just bad coincidence.

I second the idea that your CEL activation has absolutly nothing to do with the oil. GC will perform the job of a dino 10w-30 without any problems. Also, regardless of 0w, 5w, or 10w, your oil pressure will be higher when cold than when at operating temp.

Yeah, thats what I was kind-a thinking. Plus only 70 mile drive w/ GC and after ARX just finished, I'm thinking its unlikely that any 'dislodged' either. Luckily I have an extended warranty, albiet with $100 deductible.

I was able to get Azone to read the code. Emissions leak, small. The guy said probably loose gas cap. Disconnected the battery cable for 15 minutes and code is gone. Hopefully it stays gone, and engine will be happy with GC now.

I don't claim to be an expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

Could maybe taking off the positive battery cable and turning your ignition and holding it on start for 30 seconds to do a reset help?

Does anyone think that might help or is it a waste of time.

I don't know, so wait for responses to this before doing it.

Auto Zone will reset the code, only if the dude doesnt know any better, or if you ask nice and be cool about it if they give you the "we can't reset/ were are not allowed".

I asked them, "may I see it" and reach for the scan tool. They usualy hand it over and I hit RESET repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back