GC characteristics condensed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ms

Could someone please list here together the strengths and weaknesses of GC for me? I have stockpiled a good quantity of it and am running it right now. However, it seems to burn off quickly probably because it is 0w30.

What are its particular fortes? Should it really only be used in cold weather? In the fall, when temps are often still high and cold-starting not major issue yet should one use something else instead and/or mix it with a heavier oil?

Hmmm. GC is a rather "thick" 30wt and should do fine in the temps year-round in the DC metro area here. Fact, thats what I run and no problems at all. It is a really great cold weather oil if thats all you want to use it for also.

What are you running it in that it burns off? I could tell you its no good and you should sell it to me
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2ms:
Could someone please list here together the strengths and weaknesses of GC for me? I have stockpiled a good quantity of it and am running it right now. However, it seems to burn off quickly probably because it is 0w30.

If you have a consumption problem with this oil, it's not the oil's fault. This is not a "thin" oil that is going to "evaporate" in hot running engines. In fact, as 30wt oils go, GC is blended on the thick side.

Yeah, something's up and it's not with this oil. What engine are you using it in, age, etc.? I've used the stuff for almost a year and a half in three vehicles, very hot climate, and had absolutely zero observable consumption. As The G-Man indicated, this is a thick 30, almost a 40 wt. Although I don't recall seeing a Noack (roughly speaking, a boil off test) percentage, it has to be low.

quote:

Originally posted by 2ms:

What are its particular fortes? Should it really only be used in cold weather? In the fall, when temps are often still high and cold-starting not major issue yet should one use something else instead and/or mix it with a heavier oil?

Please tell me you didn't use "weaknesses" and "GC" in the same sentence.
nono.gif

When I switched to GC my engine consumed a little of it but over time it slowed down and now it's almost non existant. The fortes for me is that it doesn't shear and it makes my engine run incrediably smooth.

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
When I switched to GC my engine consumed a little of it but over time it slowed down and now it's almost non existant.

Thats good to hear. I am almost 3k miles into my first run of GC in a 4 cylinder Toyota 1ZZFE engine (8k miles in total). It appears the engine has consumed about 1/8 of a qrt or so.

crap well maybe I have an oil leak then. I just bought this car (with 69k on it) and this first fill of GC is its first oil change ever (i mean by me). I didn't think would have leak though, there are no visible trails of oil on block or anything.

Well, while I observe the oil disappearance rate a little more, anyone have suggestions on what to mix in in order to not waste the precious GC any more than necessary? I dont want to add a quart of GC only to see it gone in a month.

Don't want to waste the GC? Have you thought about trying the Auto-Rx cleaning regime? It has helped lots of folks with leaky seals etc. and may work for you too. Plus, when you do it, you can use plain ole dino (actually recommended) and save the GC for after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back